Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Now Shipping: E-TEN's Glofiish X800

http://glofiish.com/index.htm?no=800

There's a lot to love about the X800: a Samsung S3C2442 500MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, 256MB ROM, quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE and tri-band UMTS/HSDPA connectivity, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, GPS (SiRFstar III) with TMC support, an FM radio, a crisp 2.8" VGA (480 x 640) touch screen, a primary 2.0-megapixel auto-focus camera, a secondary 0.3-megapixel fixed-focus camera for video telephony, and Windows Mobile 6 Professional. This beast has begun shipping worldwide and should be available for public consumption within the next couple of weeks (although, we've heard that some MobilePlanet [affiliate] customers already have it in their hands). Anyone aiming to pick one up?

A copy of the press release can be found after the break.

"E-TEN Information Systems is proud to announce that the award-winning Glofiish X800 Pocket PC Phone has begun shipping worldwide. Highlights of the X800 include 3.5G high-speed connectivity, a pixel-sharp high-resolution VGA display and a new powerful mobile shell that make this the most advanced Glofiish device to date.

E-TEN's next-generation Glofiish X800 Pocket PC Phone has begun shipping to channel partners around the globe. The X800 is E-TEN's first handset to support 3.5G HSDPA connectivity for high-speed downloads delivering new and improved online services including faster more enjoyable surfing and email, streaming audio and video downloads, VoIP and instant messaging, and video calling.

The X800 was first previewed earlier in the year at CeBIT where it drew considerable interest from show-goers and the media. The handset was next seen at Computex where it was again warmly received and earned a Best of Computex Award. Since that time E-TEN has continued to refine the X800 package and the device now includes E-TEN's new mobile shell, an easy-to-customize interface that lets users display all of their most important information on a single screen.

The new mobile shell enables features including, photo speed dial, weather forecasts and world time to be displayed and accessed from the Windows Mobile Today Screen offering powerful new opportunities for users to streamline their mobile experience.

Measuring just 113.5 x 60 x 15.8mm the Glofiish X800 includes a high-resolution 2.8-inch VGA (640x480) display and GPS connectivity.

The Glofiish X800 is based on the Window Mobile 6 platform and is available in several languages. Pricing and availability is subject to regional variation but the X800 can be expected to available in key markets within a few weeks."

Old 11-05-2007, 07:45 AM
deanhatescoffee
Pupil

Is this shipping for a specific carrier? (AT&T please!)

I was pretty much dead-set on getting a Tilt, but this has a bigger and sharper screen... Still, I have a feeling I'd miss the QWERTY keyboard. If the X800 had a hardware keyboard then it'd be my next phone. Guess I'll just have to go into a store and compare 'em side-by-side.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhatescoffee
The shipping announcement is for authorised online and brick-and-mortar distributors/resellers worldwide such as MobilePlanet/Expansys, Trends Mobile, etc. To my understanding, there are currently no plans for any American carrier to bundle the X800 or any other Glofiish with their respective data plans.

Quote:
I was pretty much dead-set on getting a Tilt, but this has a bigger and sharper screen... Still, I have a feeling I'd miss the QWERTY keyboard. If the X800 had a hardware keyboard then it'd be my next phone. Guess I'll just have to go into a store and compare 'em side-by-side.
There's a version of the X800 with a QWERTY keyboard (dubbed the M800) that should be out either end of this year or beginning next.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Almost perfect. 64MB of RAM and not 128? :cry:

Old 11-05-2007, 04:00 PM
BogdanK
Neophyte

Quote:
It should ship not locked to any carrier. If you want, some companies will set it up for you. (around $20.00)

So you can have it set for AT&T or T-Mobile.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:19 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleReeck
Almost perfect. 64MB of RAM and not 128? :cry:
That is a deal killer for many. There is a huge usability jump with additional memory.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
norad
Pupil

I saw a few benchmark results at eten forums and video performance is very poor (due to lack of a dedicated CPU for video). I guess I'll wait for i-mate Ultimate 9502.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Iterator
Neophyte
Default 3G?

Any chance this will do 3G data on any US networks? T-mobile and/or AT&T?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:10 PM
ADBrown
Pontificator
Default Re: 3G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iterator
Any chance this will do 3G data on any US networks? T-mobile and/or AT&T?
AT&T yes, T-Mobile no.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Sheena
Ponderer
Default Small screen?

Does anyone know if the screen size (2.8") is measured diagonally? I like most of the specs, but won't go for anything smaller than my 2210 (3.5" diagonally, 2.8" top-bottom).