Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default MobilityFlow's Touch Commander

http://www.touch-commander.com/

"MobilityFlow.com today announces Touch Commander, a unique application for controlling PDA and smartphones by recognizing and responding to the touch and sweep of a finger across the screen. With Touch Commander in place, you get a one-touch access to phone calls, emails, SMS messages, calendar, appointments, applications and other commonly used content. The 'touchy-feely' effect provided by Touch Commander is much the same as the finger touch scrolling, browsing and spinning a three dimensional interface by the finger in the Touch phone by HTC TouchFLO or Apple iPhone."

If you don't have an HTC device with TouchFLO but want finger-based operation, this might be a product to check out. There's a neat little Flash animation on their homepage that quickly shows how to use the product. If anyone's given it a spin, feel free to post your experiences here. If you like the software, it costs $14.95.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Eventually I expect Microsoft to build this type of functionality into the OS. With the success of the Apple iPod Touch and iPhone as well as the HTC Cube and TouchFlo interfaces, I can see this as becoming necessary overall. Unlike the Apple products however, the touch interface is not consistent across all applications. This is where core functionality needs to be woven from an OS perspective. Perhaps implemented as a SIP with full screen gesture support?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 PM
azhiker
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to azhiker
Default Not for everyone

One hand operation sounds great!

Shucks! :cry: It only works for those with Windows Mobile 5 and better. Not on my Axim 50V with Windows Mobile 2003 SE. I am not going to adjust my operating system just to get this touch system. So I will have to wait for my next phone or PDA with Wndows Mobile 6 or 7!

Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 AM
hamishmacdonald
Thinker

I don't think you can really use the word "unique" in your copy then go on to describe two other products your software is designed to mimic.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 AM
smittyofdhs
Thinker

one handed touch or scrolling is really cool BUT...

AS mentioned above, the rest of the OS is not setup to do this. The apple OS (for the most part) is setup to be an OS with loads of finger-friendly buttons and sliders. The WM OS is not that and won't be that until MS decides to pull on this into the OS.

What's the point of using a finger-friendly launcher to open a program (for eexample, the calendar app), then what?.... you have to get out the stylus and start using the OS as we have for years in the PPC world. So in reality, this finger-friendly launcher has really not saved me any time or work or made it any easier to use the device. This holds true with almost any app. most of them are designed to be used with stylus, not the finger.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 AM
mikeypizano
Neophyte
Send a message via AIM to mikeypizano Send a message via MSN to mikeypizano Send a message via Yahoo to mikeypizano

I agree, I tried the demo and was not really impressed much after a day. Its more less for showing off really...

Old 11-03-2007, 01:16 AM
deanhatescoffee
Pupil

Looks, and sounds, pretty "meh". Touch interfaces are cool, but using a stylus is more precise anyway. Considering the fact that this app is really only good for a few screens before you need to use a stylus, it seems pretty worthless overall.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:18 AM
jkendrick
Thinker

I tried this on the HTC Advantage a couple of weeks ago but it won't run, errors out on start. Contact to their support went unanswered. I tried it at their request so I'm rot impressed with their support at all.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Non-Geek
Pupil

I find the software quite useful. I note comments by others that after 1 or 2 applications, we still have to use a stylus. But I just added folder, followed by sub-folders and further to create a line of commands until gets to do what I want --- all operated by fingers. The only drawback is that it takes a long time to create those lines of commands. Good application, but I also hope Microsoft will incorporate a more touch friendly application.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:06 PM
jarekt
Pupil
Default Re: Not for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker
One hand operation sounds great!

Shucks! :cry: It only works for those with Windows Mobile 5 and better. Not on my Axim 50V with Windows Mobile 2003 SE. I am not going to adjust my operating system just to get this touch system. So I will have to wait for my next phone or PDA with Wndows Mobile 6 or 7!
AFAIK You need Net framework 2.0. Very nice app. I like it much better than original The Cube by HTC.