Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 10-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Boy Genius Report Previews Sprint's Touch

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007...touch-hands-on/

"We hit up the original HTC Touch a few months back, and for the most part, our original conclusion still applies: Windows Mobile is not made for devices with no buttons. Just navigating around this thing is a chore sometimes, and while HTC has stepped it up by adding a "20 key" keyboard that works like T9, it�s definitely frustrating to do anything that requires more than 3 letters."

As always, the Boy Genius Report gets its paws early on the Touch, and gives some honest feedback. One of the clear things they point out is that WM, by and large, is still not very adapted for touch-based gestures. At the same time, the device is clearly svelte and good-looking, as the comparison shot above shows. Are there any Touch owners in the audience that agree (or disagree) with their summarization?

Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 PM
spinedoc
Intellectual
Default Duh

It amazes me how much people just keep missing the point of the full version of WM. It's the stylus entry that is by far the best of all the input methods for writing. This whole generation of devices with keyboards making the devices thicker just kills me, that's why when I saw the Touch I knew finally something came out that made sense.

Now for one handed typing I can see the sense of a i730 or a Moto Q type keyboard, and I won't argue that point. But compared to a 2 handed keyboard like on the Mogul, I just don't see why someone would want to type 2 handed over stylus entry. The recognizer on WM is extremely good as long as you write your letters out large and clearly, easy to do with a bit of practice. Certainly faster, with a bit of practice, than a keyboard.

It's just a very fast and very good method of text entry that is overlooked without even giving it a try.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 PM
ddwire
Ponderer

I have to admit, I love my keyboard. My first keyboard device was the HItachi G1000, then a PPC6601 and now a pathetic Treo 700WX. I do agree with Spine doc though the sideways keyboard on the Mogul does not impress me.

I am willing to give the Touch a try but why did they remove the wifi? and if they are targeting the "IPhone" why the tiny screen?

Put the guts of a mogul in a Hitachi G1000 case and I will be happy.
Dan

Old 10-25-2007, 06:05 PM
jaarso
Neophyte
Default Re: Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineDoc
It amazes me how much people just keep missing the point of the full version of WM. It's the stylus entry that is by far the best of all the input methods for writing. This whole generation of devices with keyboards making the devices thicker just kills me, that's why when I saw the Touch I knew finally something came out that made sense.

Now for one handed typing I can see the sense of a i730 or a Moto Q type keyboard, and I won't argue that point. But compared to a 2 handed keyboard like on the Mogul, I just don't see why someone would want to type 2 handed over stylus entry. The recognizer on WM is extremely good as long as you write your letters out large and clearly, easy to do with a bit of practice. Certainly faster, with a bit of practice, than a keyboard.

It's just a very fast and very good method of text entry that is overlooked without even giving it a try.
I couldn't have said it any better. I am definitely getting this phone (switching from T-Mobile). I have had the T-Mobile MDA since the day of release (Feb '06) and I've used the keyboard maybe a half dozen times. To me, handwriting on a PDA is much easier.