Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Resco Audio Recorder 4 Released

http://www.resco.net/pocketpc/audio...der/default.asp

"Resco once again proves that there is always room for improvement and is now proud to announce the release of the new Resco Audio Recorder. The lineup of successful applications from Resco has been growing every year, but that doesn�t stop Resco from making great applications even better. That is why they've given Audio Recorder a new design and update the program with many features that make it stand out of the crowd. The Audio Recorder is a must have for all sorts of professionals and general users alike. Whether recording a business meeting, a song you are working on as a musician, interviews as a journalist or a reporter or simply any audio memos, Resco Audio Recorder comes in handy in all sorts of situations. Now it is even easier to use -- just a single tap enables users to record audio tracks straight on to a mobile device."

v4.0 of Resco Audio Recorder has just been released. The product page still has v3.21 slapped all over it, but our affiliate software store has the updated version available for download, so head over there to check it out!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Also, you may want to have a look at my (series of) review(s) on the app for a serious comparison to alternatives, the good and the bad.

See (going back in time):

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=55816

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=55009

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=54711

In a nutshell, I hearily recommend this app.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
eagle63
Ponderer

Maybe this is covered in one of your reviews, but I tried the version 4 beta a few months ago and couldn't find a way to make it record once the screen turns off.

Is there a setting that I missed?? Seems a little useless if you can only record up until the point that the screen turns off.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle63
Maybe this is covered in one of your reviews, but I tried the version 4 beta a few months ago and couldn't find a way to make it record once the screen turns off.

Is there a setting that I missed?? Seems a little useless if you can only record up until the point that the screen turns off.
It worked even in the second beta - I used it very often. Just make sure you assign screen off to a hardware button. I'm absolutely sure it works - at least the hardware button-initiated screenoff.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

I think the screen turning off question is actually referring to auto power-off, which is enabled by default in all Pocket PCs. Resco Audio Recorder used to overrkde this, keeping the device on until recording stopped. The past few versions fail to do this. As a result, I have lost several recordings which were rather important to me, mostly sounds of my son's learning to talk. I have submitted a detailed report to Resco, but as yet no reply. Of course I know from experience that they will eventually sort it out, as they have so many times before with the bugs I've reported to them since 2001 in their many great programs.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard
I think the screen turning off question is actually referring to auto power-off, which is enabled by default in all Pocket PCs. Resco Audio Recorder used to overrkde this, keeping the device on until recording stopped. The past few versions fail to do this. As a result, I have lost several recordings which were rather important to me, mostly sounds of my son's learning to talk. I have submitted a detailed report to Resco, but as yet no reply. Of course I know from experience that they will eventually sort it out, as they have so many times before with the bugs I've reported to them since 2001 in their many great programs.
Yup, indeed that's the problem - not the manual / automatic screenoff initiated by the user / Resco itself.

That is, ignore my previous post; I'll post an update as soon as I have the time to test this. (On my PPC's, I disable auto power-off so I have never run into this problem, not even with apps that otherwise fail to keep the device alive.)

Old 07-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

I prefer to keep auto-off set at 3 minutes, so when I remember this bug I first launch Scott Seligman's free KeepAlive app, which simulates keyboard activity to prevent auto-off. Not always easy to remember, however. It'd be nice if scripted shortcuts could be made, to dual-launch applications.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 PM
eagle63
Ponderer

Thanks for the replies - yes, auto-off is what I was referring to although IMO the app should should continue to record even if I manually turn the screen off. In other words, recording should only stop when I tell it to stop - or it hits some other pre-determined stopping point. (like a time-limit for example)

This is a little startling, and definitely a deal breaker for me. I shouldn't have to resort to manually clicking buttons every few minutes or using a another piece of software to keep the "screen alive" so that it will continue to record.

I assumed I must have missed something obvious, but apparently it was Resco who missed something obvious.... :?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:59 PM
thierryb
Ponderer

On my O2 XDA Flame, when recording phone calls I have to bugs:
1. If I use a bluetooth headset, I hear nothing on the headset.
2. Audio recorder records the voice of my correspondant, but not mine.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:29 AM
SailingNut
Neophyte

I have been trying to install Audio Recorder v4.00 now for the past three days. Each time I start it I get the error message "Cannot create encoder!". This renders the product unusable on my Dell X50v.

This incredibly informational error message has been acknowledged by Resco but they claim it to be an uncommon error. They have no response, which is uncharacteristic of Resco who normally only release very solid products.

I hate paying for products that don't work when you trusted their previous versions!

Anyone else having this issue? If so check out the relevant forum on www.resco.net.