Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default FCC Approves Toshiba Satellite G900

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32260/118/

"Originally announced as the Portege G900 at the 3GSM conference earlier this year, the device apparently will be marketed under the firm�s �Satellite� brand, run Windows Mobile 6 and offer a feature set that will make most of its competitors look antiquated."

Before anybody gets too excited, FCC approval does not equate to any surety that a device will be released in the US - it just means it's legal for you to use it there. Having said that the chances are a lot higher, though I wouldn't pretend to know if any carriers are going to pick this baby up, especially given that this represents new ground for Toshiba. BTW, the TG article got a few facts wrong, and I seriously don't think it'll go for $500 without some serious subsidies. About the only real surprise here is the Satellite branding instead of Portege - anybody here know what the implications of that are?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:20 PM
alese
Philosopher

It it really has Bluetooth 2.0 EDR and not the rumored BT 1.2 then this device is again becoming my No.1 choice for the next Phone/PDA.
I just hope Toshiba didn't do something stupid on some other specs...

Old 05-31-2007, 12:58 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Nice. We're getting closer I wonder which carrier will get it. I'll cancel my contract w/T-Mobile if necessary.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

If it comes to the US I'll be there in line for it ... but only if it goes to quad-band or at least uses 850 so I can get signal more often.

I still use my E830 daily, and I have been waiting for something like this. The only major downside is that the screen is fairly small (compared to the E830) even though it is high-rez.

Still - I'd love to see dual CF and SD slots, but sadly no pda/phone maker has the nuts to do that these days. So I'll have to give up my 12 Gb of storage :-(

Old 05-31-2007, 02:23 PM
netboy
Intellectual

hopefully they changed the spec, if i recall this thing only has 2100mzh hspda, NO 850/1900 hspda for USA market, just like O2 flame. what' the point of buying a 3G pdaPhone in USA if it dont work!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I hope that it isn't as slow compared to similarly-spec'd Phone Edition devices as Toshiba notebooks are compared to similarly-spec'd models from other vendors. :roll: And what's with the size of the camera lens? Do they want people to think that owners of this device are using an actual camera?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Malkatraz
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by netboy
hopefully they changed the spec, if i recall this thing only has 2100mzh hspda, NO 850/1900 hspda for USA market, just like O2 flame. what' the point of buying a 3G pdaPhone in USA if it dont work!
Yep. I'm hoping someone got this wrong. Here in Australia all the remote locations are using the 850mhz UMTS band, and these are the areas I need it. So close to being the device for me, but I may look elsewhere...

Old 06-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Malkatraz
Pupil

The FCC testing documents confirm its only UMTS 2100.

Heres an internal pic of the device, showing the Qualcomm chip. MSM6280? Difficult to read. Its probably the MSM6280 using the RTR6275 chipset configuration, which uses quad-band GSM + 2100 UMTS.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
And what's with the size of the camera lens? Do they want people to think that owners of this device are using an actual camera?
I actually prefer that - what I find to be the dividing line for a phone camera being a novelty and a useful tool isn't megapixels, it's the lens aperture. All things being equal, a larger lens aperture will give much better pictures especially in low light conditions. I'd rather have a 2MP camera phone with large lens than a 3MP or even 5MP camera phone with a pinhole lens - I'm far more likely to end up with decent pics that way.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Malkatraz
Pupil

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...ster/#comments

They're reporting tri-band HSDPA? What did they see in those FCC documents that I didn't??

The g900 is back on my list again if true...