Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default HTC Herald for T-Mobile Appears on FCC Website

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=2176

"Documents appeared on the FCC web site today showing a version of the HTC Herald branded for T-Mobile USA. The Herald - officially called the P4350 by HTC - is a successor to the MDA currently offered by T-Mobile. Notable improvements include a thinner body, spring-assisted slide, and 2 megapixel camera."

Phonescoop has the lowdown on T-Mobile's MDA replacement - the Herald will purportedly sport WM6, 2MP camera, Edge, BT and Wifi. If you're on T-Mobile and your contract is nearly up, you've just been given one more choice to upgrade to .

Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

It appears that the upgrade for Wizard users is:

Camera: 1.3 -> 2.0 megapixels
Size: ->Thinner
Buttons: ->Ok and Windows on face

Other than that, there is nothing else that I see. People can already run WM6 on a Wizard device (althouth not legally). The Ok and Windows button were addressed with apps like Smartskey. While a thinner device and 2MP camera are nice, there are better devices available. Why not a device with a faster CPU, integrated GPS, or one with support for the new high speed spectrum that they licensed?

I am hoping to see an HTC Vox type device running WM6 Professional w/ a VGA screen and integrated GPS. That would be perfect for me. I know the VGA on a small screen would be too small for many. My daugher has the Dash, I am tempted to get a Vox even though I love my Wizard and PPC legacy... the form factor is compelling.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:17 PM
thelittlemaster
Neophyte

Isn't this the HTC Atlas...not the HTC Herald.

I think they're near identical specs-wise but nonetheless this is an HTC Atlas isn't it???

Engadget calls it a Herald one day and an Atlas the next ??? :?:

Old 04-25-2007, 03:20 PM
rzanology
Sage

will this phone support t-mobiles 3g network? all im seeing is edge.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:28 PM
stephman
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzanology
will this phone support t-mobiles 3g network? all im seeing is edge.
You're only seeing EDGE because that's all there is...no 3G.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:31 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Better question: Will I live long enough to see T-Mobile 3G in USA? :devilboy:

Old 04-26-2007, 12:15 AM
JesterMania
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
It appears that the upgrade for Wizard users is:

Camera: 1.3 -> 2.0 megapixels
Size: ->Thinner
Buttons: ->Ok and Windows on face

Other than that, there is nothing else that I see. People can already run WM6 on a Wizard device (althouth not legally). The Ok and Windows button were addressed with apps like Smartskey. While a thinner device and 2MP camera are nice, there are better devices available. Why not a device with a faster CPU, integrated GPS, or one with support for the new high speed spectrum that they licensed?
The slide-out keyboard on the Herald is one of those new "assisted" slide-out QWERTY keyboards. They're said to be more durable than the older Wizard/Hermes-style keyboards. I've played with the sliding on one and it's quite impressive. Also, the casing on this thing looks to be one of the most durable I have ever seen, with parts seemingly being metallic in nature. All in all, with the very little time I had to play with it, the specs may not be top-notch but it seemed like a very refined device.

Also, I read somewhere on the internet that it has faster RAM than some older devices. I don't know the details or whether it's true but performance was said to be faster than a typical TI OMAP-based device.

What I'd like to see are actual benchmarks versus some of the other popular devices such as the Wizard and Hermes to see if we are gaining anywhere in terms of performance.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:36 PM
haim
Neophyte

Where I can find the same thing for the HTC Advantage in FCC or in the GCF web site: http://www.globalcertificationforum....ome_public.htm
Thanks.