Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default WebIS Releases Pocket Informant 2007 Rev 3

http://www.webis.net/products_info.php?p_id=pi

"We are proud to announce the release of one of the top rated and sought after applications on Windows Mobile! Pocket Informant 2007 Rev 3 has been released and with it comes a new level of ease of use and productivity for Windows Mobile users. Pocket Informant 2007 Rev 3 introduces a new Today plugin to start users off with basic abilities such as displaying appointments and individual tasks along with their category colors. It brings automatic filter schedules for Custom Views and categories. A completely reworked Contacts search and many major improvements to one-handed use and interface changes to make features more accessible. For heavy contact users Rev 3 also brings in a "Show Appointments with this Contact" action which displays all appointments that has that contact as a meeting participant. Finally Rev 3 introduces Windows Mobile 6 compatibility."

Rev 3 of Pocket Informant 2007 has just been released with a new Today plug-in, automatic filter scheduling, optimized contact searching, and enhanced one-handed navigation. If you're a registered Pocket Informant 2007 user, this is a free upgrade. If you've yet to try or buy, head over to our affiliate software store and grab a copy at the discounted price of $24.95.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual
Default Hmmmmm

I never thought I'd be saying this about an application (being that I used to be a dedicated user of Pocket Breeze; who many said had to many options) but this application just seems like it extremely elaborate in many ways. Does anyone use this applicaion that think differently?
I may just be speaking out of pure ignorance, because I've never really used this app. I'm just going by the specs sheet and the snapshots.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:23 PM
seaflipper
Intellectual
Default Re: Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1
I never thought I'd be saying this about an application (being that I used to be a dedicated user of Pocket Breeze; who many said had to many options) but this application just seems like it extremely elaborate in many ways. Does anyone use this applicaion that think differently?
I may just be speaking out of pure ignorance, because I've never really used this app. I'm just going by the specs sheet and the snapshots.
I have used this product on and off with different devices. It is a very powerful program, it has so many features that I think it can be a bit daunting at first.

However, once you get up and running with it you just can't beat the functionality and options it provides over the built in PIM's.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual
Default Re: Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaflipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1
I have used this product on and off with different devices. It is a very powerful program, it has so many features that I think it can be a bit daunting at first.

However, once you get up and running with it you just can't beat the functionality and options it provides over the built in PIM's.

with that into consideration; is it a resource hog? Because I just installed WM6 on my universal and I'm not sure if it's worth it to install an app like that. I'm a semi-busy person but I think one can get to a point where we find ourselves spending more time preparing than doing (not that that's a bad thing) but when you're constantly pressed for time it becomes an issue, I'll give this program a try simply because I'm an enthusiast; but I really think the built in PIMs, although not elaborate, gives us an expediant way of managing our time.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 PM
wonkman
Neophyte

It's not a resource hog and you only need to use the features that you find useful.

PI is the best mobile PIM available, beats Agendus IMO, is updated frequently and is reasonably priced.

Thanks WebIS for another update.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 PM
jgrnt1
Theorist

Frankie1,

I've used it on 5 different devices for the past five years. It's the first app I install when I get a new PPC (PocketBreeze is the second app). I couldn't imagine using a PPC without PI. I know I don't use all of its capabilities, but even if you need just simple appointment, task and contact management, PI does these so much better than Pocket Outlook that it's worth a try. There is a free, 15 day trial, so give it a shot.

On a VGA device, like your Universal, it's even better. The mini-text style on the month calendar is great. Since I switched from an iPAQ 4700 to a Cingular 8525, I only miss my VGA screen for two things -- PI's month view with mini-text and Mobipocket Reader.

edit -- in all fairness to the program, mini-text functions fine on a QVGA device, but I don't find it legible enough to be useful (sorry, Alex).

Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 PM
cab124
Intellectual

Quote:
The mini-text style on the month calendar is great.
I never knew about that feature. I just tested it out. Cool!!

I tested out PI a couple of times before I actually decided to start using it. At first, the complexity seemed daunting and I found myself preferring the "elegant" simplicity of Pocket Outlook. It takes a little bit of study to really understand how PI works. But, for me, the investment in time to learn it is paying off. I find myself progressively taking advantage of more and more of the features that are absent in PO. I am slowly becoming hooked.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:03 AM
scmidlap
Pupil
Default Pocket Informant

How do I get the mini text on the month view? I have a X50v.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 AM
WyattEarp
Sage

PI has and extrodinary amount of features but half of them are "set it and forget it" features. PI is by far the superior product over everyone out their. I have used PI since my first PPC and have installed it on everyone since. My iPAQ came with it pre-installed which was the best thing that happened to the PPC.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 AM
aquanaut
Ponderer

A loyal PI fan since the days of my first ppc, the pocket loox, I used tAgenda on my today screen until I bought my TyTN 9-months ago. PI is easily the most sophisticated user interface for the PocketOutlook. And each version offers more capabilities that I can understand might overwhelm most users all the while keeping speed and size lean and mean. Great app indeed...

tAgenda isn't compatible with WM5... so, gave pocketbreeze a try... WOW! After a month a month I found that I stopped using PI for nothing more than to create voice message notes.

For several years PI has maintained it would stay away from producing a today screen plug-in. With this new release, PI now has today screen plug-in. First attempt is pretty underwhelming, but Alex has the resources and talent to make it right. A couple of years ago I would have been delighted... now, it's just extra code on my device.

Cheers