Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Quanta Developing PDA Handset for Dell?

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070416PD215.html

"Quanta Computer is developing a PDA handset for Dell, and the new model is expected to be launched in the fourth quarter of this year, according to industry sources. Quanta said it would not comment on any issue concerning individual clients. The sources claimed that the Dell PDA handset project, codenamed "Fly," will develop a model using the Windows Mobile 6 Professional platform and supporting HSDPA. It probably will feature a QWERTY keyboard, though feature details have yet to be determined, the sources said."

The Axim may be dead, but a report at DigiTimes suggests that Dell isn't done with PDAs just yet. The validity of the information is questionable, but not unbelievable. At any rate, we'll keep our eyes and ears open for more over the coming months.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:38 AM
alese
Philosopher

Hopefully the Dell's entry into smartphone market is real, and hopefully it will have similar effect as their entry into PDA market - prices will become more reasonable...

I'm using Phone edition devices since 2004 and I have payed quite a lot for this "little hobby", so if Dell can come up with compeling device for more reasonable price than the current offerings I'm all for it.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Lex
Sage

The real question is whether the restaurant changes the rice in the salt shaker...

Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

I have got one big fear: quality issues regarding Quanta devices.
Look at O2 Atom or Atom Exec(made by Quanta). Both of them have lot of problem with the carriers(something wrong with the radio ROM, I reckon).
And I guess, I need not mention the PLETHORA of hardware issues which arise in those devices after couple of months :evil:

I do hope Dell wont like to deal with quality(+reliability) problems later on with the customers(+quanta?)

Old 04-17-2007, 02:28 PM
inteller
Banned

for a company completely hooked on Dell for hardware, this is a very big deal. It will hit me at just the right time too as I will be looking to replace my phone around then. Since they mention HSDPA one can only assume they are targeted for the ATT network.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

hahaha very appropriate picture there, Darius.
That made me laugh out loud.

I would like to see a phone from dell. The more choices i have the better and i might even be able to afford the dell.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:45 PM
PPCRules
Thinker

So much has been made of "Dell entering the market", "Dell exiting the market". Now I realize I oversimplify a bit, but this is basically a business decision of whether to market a product designed and built by an ODM. If they can calculate they can make money, either in the short term or long run, they go for it.

So it looks like Dell isn't crawling into their shell but simply going about business. Time will tell if something comes of it.

Yes, a carrier would have a big edge on business accounts if they could have Dell bundle their phones in IT deals. There seems to be a lot of margin there to play with.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 PM
ADBrown
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inteller
Since they mention HSDPA one can only assume they are targeted for the ATT network.
T-Mobile's also going to be deploying HSDPA.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Rethink
Pupil
Default What did DELL say..

DELL said that they were exiting the pen handheld market, they were actually very specific about this, they mentioned how no one really wants a pen based PDA anymore so why produce one?
Welcome to QWERTY PDA's DELL, it's good to have you 'back', just like when they got into the pen based market, all of the sudden prices dropped and I'm hoping the same will happen with the QWERTY PDA's as paying $1000 for a PDA is over the top, here's to hoping DELL does it again (with better design).

Kenny O.
My Tears cure cancer, but I never cry...