Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 04-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default BGR's HTC X7500 Unboxing

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007...x7500-unboxing/

"Too big to be called a true "Pocket" PC, and too small to be considered a full on laptop, HTC's X7500 tries to bridge the gap between UMPC's and smartphones. How do they fare? In my opinion not well, and here's why. The HTC X7500 is large, but not that big where it's not portable obviously, the problem I see is the price point. Averaging around $1200 when it's finally available (E-Gadget Depot has em' right now!). It's the cost of a decent laptop, hell even almost an OQO 02. There lies the problem. For $1200 you get an amazing device that's incredibly well thought out and constructed, I just don't see who would use this darn thing. The QWERTY detachable keyboard is cool, not great. It lacks much needed tactile feedback and even though the magnet that attaches to the unit is strong, you have a limited viewing angle when using the keyboard or else the main unit will just fall off."

While the HTC Advantage failed to please the Boy Genius, he still managed to snap some sweet pictures for all to drool over; head over to the BGR for a look. Anyone here thinking of picking one up?

Old 04-15-2007, 02:13 PM
code-frog
Intellectual

I would own one right now if I could get it to work with Sprint. Being self-employed and yet still wanting to have a life away from my office is a critical must for me. Something small enough to be a phone (barely) and big enough to be a laptop/palmtop (barely) fits me like peanut butter fits jelly. I'd saw off my right leg and stream it on the web if Sprint would pick up this device.

Alas! I do believe for me this particular device will be summed up as, "Don't hold your breath, if you do you'll take a dirt nap as this baby probably isn't coming Sprint's direction."

Now if anyone knows a way to hijack this thing and make it speak Sprint then... ummm I'd well, OUT WITH IT!!!

So yeah, I'd own one in a heartbeat. But I do believe I'm in a very unique niche and a device like this is just a dream come true for people in my situation.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:15 PM
code-frog
Intellectual
Default XBOX 360???

Also, is it me or does anyone think they really tried to mimic XBOX packaging with this device? Every time I look at the picture I have to blot "Halo 2" from my mind and remind myself it's a phone...

Old 04-15-2007, 02:44 PM
dommasters
Intellectual
Default $1200 ?

$1200 for a big Pocket PC ? Wasn't this just an April Fool ? It would be funny if it weren't real 8O

Old 04-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Tierran
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tierran Send a message via AIM to Tierran

I think the people that look at the price adn say "well, you could get a laptop for that" miss the point entirely. Yeah you could. You could also buy a far superior desktop computer to either the laptop or this.

But this isn't a laptop. If you're not shopping for a laptop then who cares what else you can buy for the money. I'm sure we could make a nice list of things that you could buy for $1200. The question is...is the performance you get worth the $1200?

Old 04-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Paragon
Magi
Default Re: BGR's HTC X7500 Unboxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
I just don't see who would use this darn thing.
I think this guy completely misses the point of such a device. When considering devices like the HTC7500 we are talking about mobile devices. This is very important to remember. So having said that, when we compare it to a UMPC, yes, the UMPC has much more functionality, but as I said we are talking about mobile devices. Do we need all those bells and whistles in a mobile device? Most people don't. Most of us leave our desktop computing to be done on a desktop computer. When mobile we look for things that make it easy to use as a mobile device. things like instant on, or a GUI which is designed for mobile use on 5" and smaller screen, whereas a UMPC is using an OS that was designed for use on 15" screens and larger. This makes the HTC much easier and quicker to use on the move. The HTC 7500 takes the form factor pretty much to the limit as far as easy portability is concerned. Most UMPCs are bigger. Just that much bigger that they are now a pain to carry around.

Windows Mobile devices now have a huge list of software titles that work on them. There are lots of light versions of software that we use on our desktops that's now available for Windows Mobile devices, and they sync with the desktop component quickly and easily either through Activsync, or over the air.

I'm not for a minute going to say that an HTC 7500 is going to work for everyone who would compare it to a UMPC, but I have a feeling there are a large number of people who would be very satisfied with one over a UMPC, but have slipped into the "bells and whistles syndrome" instead of fully considering what works best for them as a mobile device.....I'll no for sure in a couple of days when my HTC 7500 review unit arrives.

Dave

Old 04-15-2007, 03:31 PM
k_kirk
Intellectual

Typing this reply from one... The Dopod variant. Its great! Only gripe I have is that it comes with WM5. Not for everyone given the size and the price but its one device that replaces so many things from my belt and rucksack i can't say enough...

Old 04-15-2007, 03:51 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I am self-employed, travel all the time, and my PPC phone is... my life pretty much. Very often I wish I had something small and mobile but with more punch in it. I look at this new "thing" from HTC, and I don't see how it could complement my lifestyle. It's too big to fit comfortably in my pocket, and doesn't have enough functionality, to make me to drag it around. At this point I am exploring options to purchase either OQO O2 (I would've done it already, if it had GSM/UMPC international connection instead of EV-DO), or Acer TravelMate C210 (C213), but the size is a little off the scale. But then again, There's HTC Shift is not too far away. Let's see what will be final spec list.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:02 PM
dommasters
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
I just don't see who would use this darn thing.
I think this guy completely misses the point of such a device. When considering devices like the HTC7500 we are talking about mobile devices. This is very important to remember. So having said that, when we compare it to a UMPC, yes, the UMPC has much more functionality, but as I said we are talking about mobile devices. Do we need all those bells and whistles in a mobile device? Most people don't. Most of us leave our desktop computing to be done on a desktop computer. When mobile we look for things that make it easy to use as a mobile device. things like instant on, or a GUI which is designed for mobile use on 5" and smaller screen, whereas a UMPC is using an OS that was designed for use on 15" screens and larger. This makes the HTC much easier and quicker to use on the move. The HTC 7500 takes the form factor pretty much to the limit as far as easy portability is concerned. Most UMPCs are bigger. Just that much bigger that they are now a pain to carry around.

Windows Mobile devices now have a huge list of software titles that work on them. There are lots of light versions of software that we use on our desktops that's now available for Windows Mobile devices, and they sync with the desktop component quickly and easily either through Activsync, or over the air.

I'm not for a minute going to say that an HTC 7500 is going to work for everyone who would compare it to a UMPC, but I have a feeling there are a large number of people who would be very satisfied with one over a UMPC, but have slipped into the "bells and whistles syndrome" instead of fully considering what works best for them as a mobile device.....I'll no for sure in a couple of days when my HTC 7500 review unit arrives.

Dave
I've got an old Windows CE device you can have for just $1000. You won't have to worry with bells and whistles atall. I'll even throw in free p&p. Let me know.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommasters
I've got an old Windows CE device you can have for just $1000. You won't have to worry with bells and whistles atall. I'll even throw in free p&p. Let me know.
Really funny Dom. Why do I get the feeling you only read once sentence out of my whole post.