Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Hosted Exchange Users: How Often Do You Desktop Sync?

Recently I realized that I never sync to my desktop anymore. Well, almost never - I do sync my eWallet file every few weeks or so. Of course, I could do that via an SD card just as easily as I do it through ActiveSync (if not easier). Which brings me to the startling realization that my once beloved (and hated) essential tool, Desktop ActiveSync, isn't needed anymore. If someone had told me this a few years ago, I wouldn't have believed them! But it does make sense - Server ActiveSync through Exchange does pretty much everything I need it to do (minus file sync, which would be very useful), and the hassle of breaking out the Tablet PC to sync isn't worth the benefits any longer. Truly a shift in thinking that subtly snuck up on me!

This sentiment was echoed in an email with Jason this past week regarding the new sync software in Vista (A reader posed a question regarding it that few editors here could attempt to answer - since we don't sync our devices with Vista (Using the WMDC) too often or at all!). Both Jason and I figured it may be interesting to see how those of you who use Hosted Exchange services to sync up your email, contacts, calendar, and (possibly) tasks treat desktop sync. Do you even do it at all? What have you done to replace features such as media and file sync (if anything!)?

Note: Please only vote if you use some sort of Server-side Sync tool. Never sync'ing to anything is a different topic!

Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph
Default Re: Hosted Exchange Users: How Often Do You Desktop Sync?

I only ever use desktop Async when I am installing software I haven't downloaded as a CAB file. Exchange is by far the best tool I have on my WM5 and is the first thing I set up on any new machine. I no longer sync with my home PC - syncing with 2 PC's was always a pain - so I dont bother anymore.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 PM
spacerace
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to spacerace

I've had a hosted exchange server for about 2 years now, and since then I have never desktop sync'd. Even when I get a brand new WM phone (about 5 in the last 2 years) I don't desktop sync, I just plug my server details into ActiveSync on the phone and away it goes.....

Old 03-27-2007, 02:20 PM
bearxor
Pupil

A very intresting topic and something I've come to realize these past few months. I haven't synced my 700wx to my desktop ever and rarely sync'd mhy 6600 when I had it. If I want to install an application I put my sd card in to my computer and then copy the cab files on to it. If the program is a windows installer, I install it and then go through the program files\activesync folder to pull out the cab files.

I just thought that this will be impossible to do when I get my MacBook Pro as it doesn't have a built-in SD reader. Guess I'll need to buy an Express Card.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:43 PM
spacerace
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to spacerace

or you could pick up a USB SD card reader. Also many programs have the CAB file available on their website. Anything I've needed to install I've simply browsed to the website on the smartphone and selected the .cab file for install. It's not an option for all software but for anything I've needed it has worked fine...

Old 03-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

I sync often with both the exchange server and my laptop. My device is a personal device but i like to use it for much of my work stuff as it makes life soo much easier. The exchange server is for work so i sync email, calendar, and tasks. Everything else is synced to my laptop. So i try to sync with both often to avoid unresolved items.

If i ever get a PPC from work i might get a personal exchange account.. I dunno. My web hosting provider offers them now. I just don't like the idea of all my very personal data sitting out there on a server out of my control. I know i could probably make a local backup copy of my PST...

Of course i've only had highspeed internet for 3 months now.. I am still not quite used to being always connected. hehe.. but for now i still want my data inside my home where i can get to it no matter the state of my internet connection.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 PM
topps
Intellectual

It's not quite the right question for some of us. I use desktop sync much less than I used to. You are right - direct to Exchange is much better. So now, I only sync once per day via the laptop...your survey will perceive me as still being a high user of desktop sync...but it has reduced by 90%.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 PM
bearxor
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerace
or you could pick up a USB SD card reader. Also many programs have the CAB file available on their website. Anything I've needed to install I've simply browsed to the website on the smartphone and selected the .cab file for install. It's not an option for all software but for anything I've needed it has worked fine...
You're right most things are available to download as cabs, but there are exceptions. The point of getting the express card sd reader would be so that I could leave it in the laptop 24/7 instead of having to carry around a small usb sd card reader. Guess thats one advantage of my current Dell notebook I didn't think of when looking at the Apple.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:53 PM
carln
Neophyte
Default Why I said this question is dumb...

This was the only entry that came close to my situation..... I was ActiveSync-ing once or twice a month with my desktop at work, it generally would mess up my work calendar with double entries and tasks, also the same problem with contacts. So I started mainly using it for loading cabs and file transfers, then one day at ver 4.5 it just stopped recognizing my 6700. So now the only reason I hook it up is to charge it, and my computer just complains that an "unrecognized" USB connection was made....

Oh, so I finally bought a notebook, went out a week ago and bought a Sony Vaio, cute little thing, love it to death, hating Vista for now... I'm sure in a year or so when all the service packs settle down it will be great, but for now.. Window Mobile does not find my 6700 in USB or Bluetooth, which was of course part of why I liked it, I wanted to use the phone as a modem and be able to surf anywhere, not just in hotspots.... I"m sure that I will eventually figure this all out but am frustrated that one can spend $2300 on a laptop and $600 on a phone and not have them see each other.... I bet that if you put a I-phone any where near an Apple lap top they will say.... "Hello Brother"!!!!

Sorry for the rant..... :roll:

Carl

Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Underwater Mike
Thinker

I voted for "once a month." Since the current version of AS has no backup capability, I have far less incentive do sync with the desktop. Besides file sync, though, they really need to enable notes synchronization. That is a goofy oversight...