Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default HTC Advantage Preview

http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/Recen...dvantage-X7500/

"2007 mark the birth of a new type of device. An example of as the convergence between Pocket PC traditional and smartphone the HTC Advantage X7500 (better known with codename the Athena is not the only tendency in action) demonstrates in fact as the convergence between PC and PDA-Phone is not only completed in UMPC (that is Ultra Mobile PC), but above all in the UMPPC (Ultra Mobile Pocket PC). "

PocketPCItalia.com have published a nice preview of the HTC Advantage - if you've been following the news about this uber-device there isn't anything really new in the article, though it provides a pretty good rundown of the layout, size and functions of the Advantage plus some closeup shots. Of note however are comparison shots between the Advantage and TyTN (Hermes) and S620 (Excalibur), which should be useful in gauging the real size of this device. You can access the decent Google translation here. Oh, and I'm not really sure we need another category of Pocket PCs just yet :lol:.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:56 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

I drool at the thought of that being a XP based UMPC.. Though I wonder how useable that keyboard really is... That form factor is just wasted as a PPC... :-(

Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM
iscogd
Neophyte

What's the use of such unit? why we need such unit? I don't find any good idea why to buy it.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Dyvim
Sage

This new category of device would be more appropriately named NPMPPC for "Not Particularly Mobile Pocket PC". Some of the largest Pocket PC's ever made don't deserve the monikor "Ultra Mobile Pocket PC"- those should go to the tiniest of Pocket PC's not the biggest.

That said, I would be happy to receive this device as a gift (I don't think I can afford to buy one).

Old 03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
TOCA
Intellectual

If the choice is UMPS vs. Athena, then I would go for the Athena.
If the choice is Athena vs. a PPC, then it would be PPC.

In both caces, the formfactor is the point, A PPC fits in a pocket, Athena fits in a big pocket, the UMPS's need a briefcase, bag, or some other external carrying device, so for that, I might as well bring a Laptop, with all the functions installed, in staed of a machine running XP-Light.

If you want to do more than just PIM, and smalltime Word edditing, then a PPC is a litle too small, if you want to travel light, a Laptop or a UMPC is too big, and right smack in the midle, stands Athena.

Yes I belive there is a market for her, if HTC gets the word out to the consumers.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:20 PM
alese
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksfiona
I drool at the thought of that being a XP based UMPC.. Though I wonder how useable that keyboard really is... That form factor is just wasted as a PPC... :-(
Actually, this could be a very nice reader (an expensive one) but nice. Also due to it's large screen it should be a nice GPS unit in the car.

But in general I agree, it's really hard to find real use for such device.
Maybe if it would be cheap I could see it as light laptop replacement, but it's not, it's priced on par with UMPC and UMPCs are running REAL Windows...

Old 03-12-2007, 05:00 PM
c1oudrs
Pupil

I have to go against the flow. In my opinion the form factor is just about perfect. First of all you have a BIG screen for a pocket pc. (Word processing, ebooks, gps). Not too heavy, it weighs about as much as a can of sodapop. And though it's too big for any but a capacious pocket--it is NOT too big to hang on a belt. So in order to make this converged device usable, a good case IS a must!

Its got TV/VGA out (which to my knowledge only the Flame has TV out and the Axim X51v has VGA out). So you can use the cinema glasses with the Athena if you like both the TV out and the harder to find VGA out. Unlike the Axim X51v, you also have USB host, and a 3 megapixel camera! (And uhhh, yeah, a phone . . .)

The only reality check I see is memory (the Athena/Advantage has a mini-sd as opposed to sd, don't appreciate that) and also lacks a CF slot--then there's the price. However, USB host has the potential to take away some of the memory woes, as does the 8GB drive (though--sniff--you can get a 12 GB CF card for a little over $200 now. Oh yeah, then there's the price. Then of course, (cough) there's the price.

But the Athena sure looks nice, though I'll likely have to wait till at least 2008 before I'm in the market.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:02 PM
nutzareus
Ponderer

Haven't we seen this before? Rewind back to 2000 and the HP Jornada 720 with Windows CE Handheld PC 2000. Only thing different is a GSM radio, Bluetooth, 802.11g, and about $700 in your wallet...

Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Paragon
Magi

Wow!!

I can't believe how many people have missed the point of this device. Yes, it is big, It is supposed to be. It's a bit like complaining that a pickup truck is too big because it has a big box on the back. The Advantage is big because it has a big screen. A big screen, where VGA can be used to it's ultimate purpose. Web surfing on this thing is incredible. Reading books is a totally new experience. Reading documents such as Excel forms is much easier. Viewing Powerpoint presentations is much better not to mention you can easily view them on other screens using VGA out. Watching movies will be hugely better that on a device with a 2.8" screen. Taking notes is far better than any other PPC.

It is much cheaper than a UMPC. It is instant on, so it is much quicker and easier to access information. It is much smaller than a laptop, making it far easier to lug around. It is even easier to sync and share data with this than it would be with a typical UMPC. It is about half the thickness of the average UMPC.....and so on......

Dave

Old 03-12-2007, 11:33 PM
alese
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Wow!!

I can't believe how many people have missed the point of this device. Yes, it is big, It is supposed to be. It's a bit like complaining that a pickup truck is too big because it has a big box on the back. The Advantage is big because it has a big screen. A big screen, where VGA can be used to it's ultimate purpose. Web surfing on this thing is incredible. Reading books is a totally new experience. Reading documents such as Excel forms is much easier. Viewing Powerpoint presentations is much better not to mention you can easily view them on other screens using VGA out. Watching movies will be hugely better that on a device with a 2.8" screen. Taking notes is far better than any other PPC.

It is much cheaper than a UMPC. It is instant on, so it is much quicker and easier to access information. It is much smaller than a laptop, making it far easier to lug around. It is even easier to sync and share data with this than it would be with a typical UMPC. It is about half the thickness of the average UMPC.....and so on......

Dave
I tried to use my HTC Universal for stuff you mention, but it was painfull experience, not because of screen size or even processor speed, but because WM is just not capable of beeing "desktop" replacement unless you are prepared to accept a lot of compromises.
The device is supposed to cost $1200 without contract. That's not cheaper than UMPC, that is more expensive then some UMPCs. And although typical UMPC is a little larger it also has better resolution on a bigger screen, much more storage and "real" application compatibility.
Yes you can browse on Advantage, but even the best browsers (Opera, NetFront) can't compare to browsers on UMPC.
Same goes for working with Office applications. You don't get full compatibility and all the features. For instance, you can't even create PowerPoint files on WM.
I wonder if MediaPlayer on this thing actually plays in full screen?
Yes, it should be an excelent reader, but for $1200?