Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-06-2007, 03:00 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Dell Stepping into PDA Phone Segment of Market?

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070303PD200.html

"Dell plans to venture into the handset industry and will initially target the PDA phone segment that will position the company to compete with rivals such as Hewlett-Packard (HP), Palm and RIM (Research in Motion), according to sources at Taiwan handset makers. Dell's recent hiring of Motorola's former head of mobile device unit Ron Garriques to run its consumer unit further strengthened the credibility of market rumors, the sources noted. As a leading PC vendor, it is also natural for Dell to choose PDA phones for its attempt to move into the handset industry since the PDA phone is easy to link with PC functionally, the sources added."

No one can quite seem to nail down what Dell is doing in this market, so the guessing continues until they tip their hand and we all see what cards they're holding. Given the razor-thin margins that Dell usually operates on, and the way they like to control the game from end to end, I have a hard time seeing them doing what HP is doing for instance by building a device, partnering with a carrier, and selling it in the retail channel. By the same token though, given Dell's background in IT infrastructure, I can't see them selling unlocked GSM phones and letting users sort it all out themselves. What do you think Dell is up to?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:35 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Re: Dell Stepping into PDA Phone Segment of Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
By the same token though, given Dell's background in IT infrastructure, I can't see them selling unlocked GSM phones and letting users sort it all out themselves.
Oh, I can - especially if they're looking outside of North America. They have a pretty big presence in Asia for instance. HP certainly operates that way around here.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:41 AM
fresh-popcorn
Pupil

I am actually looking forward to a Dell branded PDA/Phone.
If they offer Unlocked GSM devices with similar specs as their Axim lines and a competitive price point like we know Dell can offer I will be one of the first to get one.

With a discount of course

Old 03-06-2007, 03:42 AM
Fritzly
Sage

Could it be that they are realizing that the World is round and the sick business model so popular in the US: locked phones, subscribers paying when they receive a phone call etc. is one of the reason why, in the mobile phones sector, we are way behind most of the other industrialized nations? Id so better late than never but I am not optimistic.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:05 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzly
subscribers paying when they receive a phone call
8O You're kidding!?! That's ridiculous :evil:

Old 03-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhisham Hussein
8O You're kidding!?! That's ridiculous :evil:
Paying to receive messages too. Their model is very different to the Asia-Pacific.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

:roll: No wonder email is so popular.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:29 AM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

In the Philippines it is also the caller who pays for the call. SMS is super popular whilst mobile email isn't as popular.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Funny! Just imagine to visit Dell's website to buy a smartphone :lol: Click customize: that much RAM so much ROM Sumsung, TI OMAP or Marvell processor, how fast do you want it to be? Tri-Band, Quad-Band or CDMA, EV-DO? HSDPA? 850/1900 or 1700/2100? would you like Wi-Fi with that? SD, micro SD, mini SD, or Duo memory stick? Would you like a plan with that? Would you preffer T-Mobile, the "new" AT&T, or Verizon, or maybe Sprint is more along the lines you are looking for? :roll: Pitch me someone, I am daydreaming! :devilboy:

Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
rkopper
Neophyte

Isn't this sort of thing already happening with their Treo 680 offering? It's not a leap to believe they will offer unlocked unbranded phones. They already do! http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...p;sku=A0943855

Sure it's a Palm, but wouldn't that mean that a pocket pc or smartphone would be that far behind?