Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default The EM ONE and Only from Sharp

http://www.sharp.co.jp/em/special/s01sh/

Score one for Japan. On March 31st, they'll be welcoming the beautiful Sharp EM ONE running Windows Mobile 5.0. The specs? A Marvell PXA270 (previously, Intel PXA270) 520MHz CPU, 128MB RAM, 512MB ROM, a 4.1" WVGA (800 x 480) touch screen, an NVIDIA GoForce 5500, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.2, a video-out port, a miniSD slot, a mini-USB port, a 1.3-megapixel camera, a dual-slide QWERTY keyboard and control pad, and HSDPA connectivity thrown in for good measure. Available in black or white, measuring 140mm x 70mm x 18.9mm and weighing 250g, the EM ONE will cost �95,000 outright (US$796), or �39,800 (US$333) on a two year plan at �5,980 (US$50) a month. Interested in seeing this beast from all angles? Then take a look at the pictures after the break, and also head over to Sharp's web site and check out the Flash presentation and press release (rough Japanese to English translation).

Old 02-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Rod3
Intellectual

:drool: Wonder if this thing will be converted to English by anybody? Even without phone access, it's fabulous! I'm still crying over the demise of the Zaurus. This could dry my tears.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Paragon
Magi

Sweet! We are starting to see innovation takeoff again in Windows Mobile.

I wonder how many more devices we will see with the new WVGA resolution?

8)

Old 02-19-2007, 05:26 PM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

All I can say is WOW 8O

Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

It doesn't have a dialer, does it? Can it be used as a phone? :?:

Old 02-19-2007, 07:30 PM
tj21
Pupil

Data only. No voice capabilty. :|

Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 PM
markvan
Pupil

This is too big for a PPC. But is the perfect size for a UMPC. I'll wait for the next round.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:09 AM
ecsk2
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvan
This is too big for a PPC. But is the perfect size for a UMPC. I'll wait for the next round.
A UMPC is just that a PC, runing "normal" windows!?

The Athena/Advantage is huge compared to any PDA's now but this EM ONE is NOT! IN fact around 4" screen (above or under) is the minimum you need nowdays!

Here is a comparision between the smallest UMPC available (actually classified as a UMPC PRO due to size and performance!) www.oqo.com and the well known Dell x51v if you're going to have Wide screen you need a wider device too...

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/comp/661

Old 02-20-2007, 12:12 AM
ecsk2
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj21

Well frankly if you are somewhere where you can actually use HSDPA (with this device) you have everything you need with Skype!

Skype works just fine on WM !!

http://www.skype.com/download/

And in USA you pay $15/yr for UNLIMITED calling out all year! and if you need a number for ppl to call its another $30/yr and thats it

It will work on EGPRS too sometimes but you will hear the caller better than they will hear you...due to upload bandwidth of EGPRS.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:01 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsk2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj21

Well frankly if you are somewhere where you can actually use HSDPA (with this device) you have everything you need with Skype!

Skype works just fine on WM !!

http://www.skype.com/download/

And in USA you pay $15/yr for UNLIMITED calling out all year! and if you need a number for ppl to call its another $30/yr and thats it

It will work on EGPRS too sometimes but you will hear the caller better than they will hear you...due to upload bandwidth of EGPRS.
I would agree with that, but the problem is, you have to have a headset with you all the time, and if you forget it, you screwed. Plus, it support BT 1.2, does it support stereo?