Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Releases ActiveSync 4.5

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en

"Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 is the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile-powered devices. ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows�-powered PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box."

The latest version of ActiveSync is here, and it includes some changes that may or may not prompt you to upgrade your existing installation of ActiveSync 4.2 (or below). Among the sea of bug fixes and enhancements, you can expect to find the following:

� Faster file transfer speed and photo sync via Outlook are only available for Windows Mobile 5.0 powered devices.
� Remote PC Sync (via WiFi or LAN) has been removed due to Enterprise customer feedback around security issues.
� Customers using Microsoft Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 with devices running the Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0 will benefit from the following feature enhancements included in ActiveSync 4.5: Direct Push Technology, local device wipe, and certificate powered authentication to Microsoft Exchange.
� Microsoft� Outlook� 2000 is not supported by ActiveSync 4.5. It is highly recommended that users upgrade to Microsoft� Outlook� 2003 messaging and collaboration client.
� Conversion of database files for use on a mobile device is not supported by ActiveSync 4.5. On previous versions, this feature was limited to devices running Windows Mobile software for Pocket PC 2003 and earlier.
� Conversion of font files for use on a mobile device is not supported by ActiveSync 4.5. On previous versions, this feature was limited to devices running Windows Mobile software for Pocket PC 2003 and earlier.

Note that ActiveSync 4.5 is not an upgrade or replacement for the Windows Mobile Device Center in Windows Vista.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:58 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

Wow! Looks like a downgrade with all of the "not supported"s. 8O

Old 02-15-2007, 03:10 AM
lorettaboy
Pupil

I wish it were an upgrade for mobile device center, as i am unable to install rom upgrades whatsoever under mdc.
I really hope that somebody addresses this problem, or i will have to install xp pro onto another partition

Old 02-15-2007, 03:37 AM
buckyg
Thinker

Thanks for the details, I'd missed any previous mention of Outlook 2000 not being supported. I think I do have a copy of 2002 on an install CD from my PPC. I did try it before but there was some serious bug I ran into that made me chuck it. And it's not worth the $ to me for later versions.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:06 AM
stllhogan
Ponderer

I'm not always the biggest fan with MS but Windows Mobile is one product I enjoy and see it having little flaws, I run windows but I also run mac and linux. Windows mobile has had little flaws, which they seem to fix or work on and are able to release on OS on time or sooner, but active sync seems to have been a downgrading process for quiet some time. What happend? I don't even find it useful except that part about installing programs and rom's.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:46 AM
unxmully
Intellectual

I haven't read the whole list but find it amusing that of the 6 "features" listed, four of them remove functionality that is of current potential benefit to the user. Although I thought wifi synching had been dropped in all 4.* activesync versions.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

If you think AS 4.5 drops features, that's nothing compared to Windows Mobile Device Center. It pretty much won't let you set anything yourself. Not to mention break every existing AS conduit out there.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

I'm disappointed to see that with each successive version ActiveSync supports fewer and fewer features. ActiveSync has always been problematic for me, and it seems that Microsoft isn't really putting any effort into fixing the problems.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
GadgetMan
Intellectual

Does AS 4.5 support synchronization with MS Outlook 2007 and MS World 2007/MS Excell 2007 file format conversion?

Cheers,

Old 02-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMan
Does AS 4.5 support synchronization with MS Outlook 2007
It sure does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMan
and MS World 2007/MS Excell 2007 file format conversion?
If you're referring specifically to Office 2007's open XML file formats, the answer is "no". Saving in the backward-compatible Office 97-2003 file formats is a suggested workaround.