Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Research Releases Portrait 3.0 Beta

http://research.microsoft.com/mcom/portrait/

"Microsoft Portrait is a research prototype for mobile video communication. It supports .NET Messenger Service, Session Initiation Protocol and Internet Locator Service on PCs, Pocket PCs, Handheld PCs and Smartphones. It runs on local area networks, dialup networks and even wireless networks with bandwidths as low as 9.6 kilobits/second. Microsoft Portrait delivers portrait-like video if users are in low bandwidths and displays full-color video if users are in broadband. In low bandwidths, portrait video possesses clearer shape, smoother motion, shorter latency and much cheaper computational cost than do conventional video technologies. Microsoft Portrait pursues providing presence notification, chat/voice/video functions anytime, anywhere, on any device. Please visit the Microsoft Portrait web site for more information."

Microsoft Research's venerable video telephony application, Portrait, now features long-awaited support for Windows Mobile 5.0 and integrated cameras. Best of all, it's free, so head over to the product page for a test run.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:17 PM
BevHoward
Intellectual

Quote:
Portrait, now features long-awaited support for Windows Mobile 5.0 and integrated cameras
Note that while the image shows an aging Ipaq, the page indicates that Version 3 requires WM5 and 2.3 is the only option for 2002/2003 devices.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:04 PM
PPCRules
Thinker

I loved that old iPaq with all the 'sleeve' accessories. I'll have to get mine out and play with it this weekend.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Also don't forget to check out the review at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=53580 to find out the pros / cons of the current 3.0 version.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:15 AM
lapchinj
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCRules
I loved that old iPaq with all the 'sleeve' accessories. I'll have to get mine out and play with it this weekend.
Yeah! My memplug sleeve had 2 CF slots. I played with mine at the beginning of the week when I went to play with my Sharp SL5000 that I had once done some development for. I'm glad they're only memories. Great memories though.

Jeff-

Old 01-26-2007, 04:26 PM
servoisgod
Pupil

I loved the docking sound when you put the sleeves on

shhhhhh chunk chunk!

Awesome!

Aaron

Old 01-27-2007, 10:54 PM
hoffman
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to hoffman Send a message via Yahoo to hoffman

The screen configuration went a couple of weeks ago on my iPAQ 5550.I have had the device two and a half years and HP gave me a new iPAQ 2790 because I have a next day replacement care pack.I packed my 5550 last night for collection by HP.I was really sad to see it go.I rang HP and asked them if I could keep it if I offered them a payment for a iPAQ that needs repair and they said they had no facility for such transactions.
The old iPAQs really had character.
Regards Brian