Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Arima Communications: Flaming Into The Windows Mobile Market

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070109PD218.html

"Arima Communications will push its PDA handset business in 2007 and expects the sector will account for 20% its overall revenues in 2007. Arima plans to roll out eight PDA handsets in 2007, said the company. Except for the first model, which will support 3G services, the other seven models will support 3.5G and will adopt the EMP (Ericsson Mobile Platform) solution."

That first model happens to be the O2 Flame, which makes Arima's first foray right at the high-end of the market. As one of the major suppliers for Sony Ericsson, Arima certainly has the know-how for the phone side of things. All I can say is - the more competition, the better for us consumers!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

WTF? No HSDPA in the O2 Flame?! Bummer

Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
WTF? No HSDPA in the O2 Flame?! Bummer
Yeah, and looking at the pre-release specs on PDAdb.net, it seems only tri-band GSM and single-band UMTS too (there's no love for us North Americans). Such a crippled beast... I'm interested to see if their other 7 handsets will be just as ridiculously crippled.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 AM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterMania
Yeah, and looking at the pre-release specs on PDAdb.net, it seems only tri-band GSM and single-band UMTS too (there's no love for us North Americans). Such a crippled beast... I'm interested to see if their other 7 handsets will be just as ridiculously crippled.

When the American market becomes as 'free' as others, escaping the telco stranglehold then maybe the American market will no longer be treated like the also-ran that it is today.

Start writing to your representatives now :-)

Old 01-13-2007, 01:10 AM
vilasman
Pupil

Ok I have a question,cause I am a little technically challenged. Will the flame work on the t-mobile network in the US?"

Old 01-13-2007, 01:48 AM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman
Ok I have a question,cause I am a little technically challenged. Will the flame work on the t-mobile network in the US?"

I'd expect patchy coverage. Tri-band usually seems to mean that the main GSM band supported in the US is missed off ... if US is 850, then 900 is included on the phone, or if the US is 900, then the phone is 850.

Not always. But usually.

My experience with my olf UK-market Nokia 6100 was that I could get signal in many, but not all, partd of America that I visited. Some cities I simply got a big fat zero signal :-(

So even if it is tri-band, and has the 'wrong' band, it is still possible that you could get decent coverage where you life.

That's the long way round of saying "it depends" :-)