Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Windows Vista Hardware from AMD & Microsoft: Here�s My Story

http://www.jasondunn.com/windows-vista-hardware-90

"There�s a big blow-up about Microsoft �bribing� bloggers, so I figured I�d better get on the record now before someone accuses me of �hiding� something. On the 22nd of December I made a comment on my blog about receiving a new piece of hardware, but I mentioned that I wasn�t sure if I was allowed to talk about it yet - because the hardware wasn�t released yet and not up on the OEMs Web site for sale. Obviously now that this story has gone public, I can, so here�s the story."

This isn't exactly on-topic for Pocket PC Thoughts, but I felt that the issue was important enough (since it involves my personal integrity) that I should step up and make sure everyone knows the history of this issue and my stance on it. It's a very long post (I started working on it yesterday), but I think it covers everything about this issue. Comments here (or there) are welcome.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Mitch D
Sage

I would have to say the detractors are suffering for a case of "sour grapes". You have never hid the fact that you support Microsoft (not a crime in any country that I am aware off) or even that Microsoft has supported you from time to time with various Thoughts Media websites. Having had the chance to get to know you over the last couple of years (through the Calgary PPC Usergroup) I have found you to be a honorable person.

Anyone that thinks otherwise whould seriously give thier heads a shake. :twak:

I am envious of the new toy you have though and look forward to your feedback on it.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 PM
blazingwolf
Theorist

Sounds to me like a lot of people are just mad that they aren't recieving free stuff. To them I say get a life.

For me it doesn't take away from your sites or your integrity.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Yup, sour grapes. We at PPCT know that you are above board in all your dealings Jason. You do go the extra mile. Enjoy your new toy. :wink:

Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 AM
bkerrins
Intellectual

I guess because so many of us have read your stuff, it's just sort of strange to me that someone would attack your integrity. I think you have always said how you aquired something and what you really though of it, good and bad. I think you are happy to point out flaws in new devices in hopes that the manufacturers will listen to you and fix things for the rest of us.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:02 AM
daS
Thinker

While I didn't get this particular computer system, as both an author and MVP, I do regularly get devices and/or software to review and often to keep.

I feel it's silly to assume that those of us that write about products regularly would be buying them ourselves. With the exception of Consumer Reports, virtually all product reviews receive demo and evaluation units without charge. Often, we are expected to return the units when we complete our reviews (and I always do when asked.) Other times, the companies are more than happy to have us keep the products since they can't be sold as new anyway.

While I sometimes will simply not write about something if I find that it is fundamentally flawed, I often do write about problems in a product and the fact that I received it as a review unit doesn't enter into my review process. Microsoft in particular has been on the receiving end of much of my negative comments (such as about removing Wi-Fi sync in WM5.0, or their conduct in the "browser wars.") And while they expect MVPs to conduct themselves "professionally", our independence and integrity are also valued and pure "yes men" need not apply.

The bottom line is that the public expects authors and bloggers to write about the latest hardware and software and to write from a position of knowledge. We can't be expected to perform that function without having the stuff we are writing about - and unless we work for a large organization with an equally large purchasing budget, it's safe to assume that the stuff we write about was provided by the vendors.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:49 AM
alese
Philosopher

Maybe I'm just naive, but I really fail to see why would this be a problem. OK, so certain people with access to Microsoft got some promotional hardware, nothing new or unusuall. Or is it the value of the systems that is a problem?

Old 12-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Paragon
Magi

I've noticed over the years that the people who complain the loudest about people receiving something for free to do a review have never done a review. Seldom is the value of the free merchandise ever worth more than all the time and effort put into doing the reviews.

In short, if anyone thinks that doing reviews is a profitable way of getting merchandise, think again. The time spent doing reviews usually far out ways the cost of the item. Occasionally there may be something like the PC Jason talks about here, but combine it with all the $9.95 software and other low cost items and at the end of the day you're better of buying the stuff.

Dave

Old 12-30-2006, 02:26 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alese
Or is it the value of the systems that is a problem?
Yeah, I think that's mostly what this is about - few would complain if Microsoft gave out free copies of Vista (which they're doing now at the launch events), but the fact that it's a whole computer is what makes people hyper-sensitive about this issue. From their point of view, a free copy of $200 software isn't enough to make someone a Microsoft or AMD shill, but once it's a $2500 laptop, it's enough - I wonder what they'd say if AMD had sent out $1000 laptops? It's ludicrous to think that they think those of us receiving the laptops have some sort of "integrity threshold". I think the MCE unit I received is worth more than the laptops - if it is, does that mean I'm more of a shill than someone who received a less expensive piece of hardware? It's lame no matter how you look at it...

[The more expensive the item, the more jealous people get though as well...which I'm sure fuelled some of the fire.]

Old 12-30-2006, 04:08 AM
peterawest
Intellectual

It's all kind of silly.

I've been reading stuff on your Thoughts sites for years, and you've never had a problem with telling it like it is. Microsoft knows it too.

No successful person or business likes to be surrounded by Yes-men. They prefer honest feedback that will help them continue to succeed. That�s what you�ve always given, and I�m sure thats just what they want you to continue to do. This clearly wasn�t meant to buy you (or anyone else) off.