Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default Get Your Java and Weather Fix in One Cup

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/t...fee-smart_x.htm

"A new coffee maker hitting stores for the holidays can display real-time weather data, using a "smart objects" technology that Microsoft has been touting for years. The $200 Melitta Smart Mill & Brew, made by Salton, takes advantage of a wireless-data system built by Microsoft to automatically display current weather conditions and forecasts.The first SPOT-infused products, watches from three companies that offered real-time news and other information, hit the market in 2004, followed by a home weather gadget from Oregon Scientific. That makes the coffee maker just the third kind of item to deploy the technology. ...Microsoft has simplified the process by which gadget makers can add SPOT to products, and several are due to be announced in coming months. "It's clear this is where technology is going, there's no doubt about it," Lang said. "It might be a little before its time for mainstream America, but it's absolutely where things are going."

The Melitta Smart Mill & Brew Coffee Maker grinds, brews, and feeds you the forecast. I love coffee and I love tech; what could be a better combo? That is, unless you live in an area not covered by the MSN Direct network, like me. Still, this is a great idea of answering a practical need in an obvious place. If the only reason you boot up in the morning is to check the forecast, why not have the coffee maker tell you. I wonder if it would be possible for this to gather info via bluetooth or wifi instead? Just imagine pressing those tiny buttons over and over to set the gateway and subnet mask. :lol:

Old 12-19-2006, 02:52 PM
aubergine
Neophyte
Default Weather on coffee maker

That's one of the many things a wifi Squeezebox streamer will do - or you can get info on the artist currently playing or tune into 1000's of internet radio stations or play all the music on your computer via the hifi or .....
I think I will just use the coffee maker for making coffee.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Weather on coffee maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubergine
That's one of the many things a wifi Squeezebox streamer will do - or you can get info on the artist currently playing or tune into 1000's of internet radio stations or play all the music on your computer via the hifi or .....
But, can the Squeezebox make coffee too?

Old 12-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Diane Dumas
Pupil

Is it Java based? :|

Old 12-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Dumas
Is it Java based? :|
Now THAT is the best pun I've heard all day! The rest don't amount to a hill o' beans. :lol:

Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
jimfee
Ponderer

I realized that FM stations were selling their unused spectrum for other purposes like differential GPS, and more recently providing additional content streams, but never realized they were pumping out downlink data like this- Makes the idea of an FM band demodulator in a Pocket PC more interesting to me.

Downlinking weather and other info in that way would be awesome to a device that was transportable. Allthough buying wireless bandwidth and information services from the lowest bidder is not something the cellular carriers would like to see.

Untill then I guess I will have to install a coffemaker in my car, mmm Caffine good.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfee
Untill then I guess I will have to install a coffemaker in my car, mmm Caffine good.
Just be careful you don't "grind" your gears. :lol: