Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-17-2006, 01:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Finally Releases Voice Command 1.6

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/...roductId=199594

At long last, Voice Command 1.6 is out. New features include Bluetooth handsfree support, including initiation from the headset and new algorithms to better support Bluetooth-quality audio; support for Smartphone (like we care ); spoken incoming email announcements; and support for A2DP/HFP combo headsets.

The price, you ask? $39.99 for a new copy, or $9.95 for upgrades. Handango has a link for purchasing the upgrade; I'm not sure how those of us that got it via other means (say, integrated into the 700w's ROM) should upgrade. If I find out, I'll let you know. In the meantime, if any of you have installed it, report back and tell us how well it works. [Affiliate link]

Old 11-17-2006, 01:38 AM
dh
Mystic

I just downloaded the upgrade from Handango and it's great to have BlueTooth support. It finally makes this into a really good product.

I have not been able to start from the headset button - I still have to press the button on the PPC to initiate the process, but it's a huge step forward.

After all the Handango bashing that's been going on, it's nice to say their support worked really well too. I had only bought the previous version a few weeks ago and an email to CS got me a download link for the new version in about 10 minutes.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:04 AM
bystander
Ponderer
Default Kentucky is not eligible

It is odd but when authorized for upgrade and processing thru cart was finished.... I received an error saying that the software was authorized to be sold in my country (Kentucky in USA)...

This is very peculiar and a little frustrating.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

:cry:

Old 11-17-2006, 02:13 AM
ebadger
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh
I just downloaded the upgrade from Handango and it's great to have BlueTooth support. It finally makes this into a really good product.

I have not been able to start from the headset button - I still have to press the button on the PPC to initiate the process, but it's a huge step forward.

After all the Handango bashing that's been going on, it's nice to say their support worked really well too. I had only bought the previous version a few weeks ago and an email to CS got me a download link for the new version in about 10 minutes.
dh, Voice Command requires a soft reset after installation before the device will respond to the Bluetooth headset.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:18 AM
daS
Thinker

In addition to the Bluetooth support, I believe that V1.6 now properly displays contacts for WM 5.0 devices.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:50 AM
dh
Mystic

ebadger - I have tried soft resetting and I still can't use the headset button to start VC. I wonder if it is because of my particular headset (Plantronics 655) or the fact that my PPC (HP 6940) does not use the Microsoft bluetooth stack?

David - yes, contacts display perfectly with WM5.

Even if I have to press the phone button to start, this is still a major upgrade for me. It's fun to be a (50 yr old) kid with a new toy every now and again.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:25 AM
griffin911
Pupil
Default bluetooth

I can't get bluetooth to work via the headset button either. Is this a bug in the new release?

Old 11-17-2006, 03:28 AM
cameron
Ponderer

I can't get the upgrade the price.

I entered the email address that I purchased under (I even checked the receipt to verify the address) - but no go.

It is Handango after all.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:36 AM
FallN
Pupil

It appears that BT headset initiation only works with devices that have the Microsoft BT stack.

If you have a device with a Broadcom/Widcom stack you can't initiate from the headset. You're stuck pressing a button on the device to start VC. Weak.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:20 AM
dh
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron
I can't get the upgrade the price.

I entered the email address that I purchased under (I even checked the receipt to verify the address) - but no go.

It is Handango after all.
That's the same problem I had. After I contacted CS a nice young lady sorted it in no time at all.

Because my purchase was very recent, my upgrade was complimentry.