Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default New Zealand Permits Text Speak in Exams

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiap...t.ap/index.html

"New Zealand's high school students will be able to use "text-speak" -- the mobile phone text message language beloved of teenagers -- in national exams this year, officials said. Text-speak, a second language for thousands of teens, uses abbreviated words and phrases such as "txt" for "text", "lol" for "laughing out loud" or "lots of love," and "CU" for "see you." The move has already divided students and educators who fear it could damage the English language. New Zealand's Qualifications Authority said Friday that it still strongly discourages students from using anything other than full English, but that credit will be given if the answer "clearly shows the required understanding," even if it contains text-speak."

Um, lol, r u jking?

Old 11-12-2006, 04:05 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

That's just terrible. No good will come of this. English is a complex language, with some problems, but using these types of shortcuts will never help it in the future. What were they thinking? :roll:

Old 11-12-2006, 04:39 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

I don't like it, but the world will not implode because of this.

We use language, abbreviations and grammatic abbhorations that our parents' and grandparents' teachers would be horrified, yet we manage to fumble our way through life just fine.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:21 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

That's so bad, I can't imagine who approved of this. Pretty soon 1337 speak will be prevalent in the academic systems. I could just see a teacher writing a comment on a failed test like - "WTF!! j00 r pwned nublet! gg". :|

Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 PM
MitchellO
Oracle

Yeah I think this is a pretty stupid idea.

But I mean people who are righting essays like SMSes are probably not getting terribly good marks anyway :P

Old 11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
jaytee
Pupil

Laziness.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:41 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward999
I don't like it, but the world will not implode because of this.
I agree. But the planet may explode as a result.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:38 AM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

I feel sorry for the poor teachers that have to read this crap. Can you imagine trying to read an essay with these abbreviations? It's sometimes a struggle for me to read a post in a forum, let alone an entire essay.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:32 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaholic
I feel sorry for the poor teachers that have to read this crap. Can you imagine trying to read an essay with these abbreviations? It's sometimes a struggle for me to read a post in a forum, let alone an entire essay.
Well, while I agree that this is a terrible decision to allow students to use these abbreviations in school, but once the teacher gets used to reading the new type of English, it will become second nature. Think about it... take a common abbreviation used online: LOL. I sure don't think to myself "laughing out loud" every time I read it, but rather I just subconsciously understand it to mean a funny remark. This is done by all of us with every single word and abbreviation. The same is true with all txt abbreviations and even 1337 5p34|<.

I still don't like that this is being used in schools now, but hey, languages change, and people adjust.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 AM
gnad
Neophyte

Where I lived many students are still struggled with spelling and comprehension - (based on the latest results of basic skill test). These people must be out of their mind or they went out of their way just to save paper and ink!!!. English is not my native langue, but I enjoyed reading novels and I believe that words are descriptive. Shortening them will remove the image/feeling in books/novels.
Frankly, I do not want the language ruins by a bunch of .... :evil: