Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Missing Sync v3.0 Released, ActiveSync Now Left Behind

http://www.markspace.com/missingsyn...ndowsmobile.php

Mark/Space today released a big update to Missing Sync, their flagship Mac synchronization program. v3.0 brings a ton of new features to the table, including Address Book photos, comprehensive Notes sync (including a desktop app to maintain and view them, voice record sync, .Mac sync, and Yojimbo support), file sync, iPhoto sync (including a free copy of SplashPhoto on the Pocket PC), iTunes sync, Safari bookmark sync support, and support for different desktop PIMs via Sync Services, including not only Address Book/iCal and Entourage but also SOHO Organizer and (soon) Market Circle Daylite.

I haven't tested it yet, but I'm really looking forward to this upgrade from v2.5. v2.5 wasn't perfect, but it was starting to become better, and if v3.0 can improve on its stability and add all these features... well, then, there's simply no comparison. While ActiveSync has been steadily losing features over the years and doesn't support any PIMs other than Outlook, Missing Sync keeps on adding features. The one main unresolved quirk I notice is that Missing Sync still requires that you disconnect from GPRS/1xRTT/EVDO when syncing... and that they still don't have a free trial. I'll live with those for now in order to have a comprehensive Mac sync solution. A new copy costs $39.95; upgrades before October 1 cost $19.95, and any purchases after October 1 qualify for a free upgrade. Has anyone tried it yet?

Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 AM
crimsonsky
Thinker

I just downloaded it a couple hours ago and haven't given it a real whirl yet. The deciding factor for deciding to upgrade was the support for notes at long last. And be aware that as far as I can tell, notes are synchronised as documents rather than with Pocket Outlook notes. (Now, I do use PhatNotes rather than the built in Pocket Outlook notes, so that may be a factor). Reading through the Help is not very informative as it's not really clear where notes are stored. I am also looking at the Mark/Space Notebook application rather than Notes in Entourage. Later I may try synchronising directly with Entourage instead and see what happens.

Take all this with a box of salt for now, as I've only done one sync and have only had about 30 minutes to play with it.

Don

Old 11-10-2006, 03:39 AM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Okay, just confirmed that Notes synchronise with the built in Notes application if using the Mark/Space Notebook. While good that there is a notes application for those without Entourage, this doesn't help me much as it stands since I need to want to synchronise with PhatNotes.

Of course, on my Windows laptop, PhatNotes has it's own conduit to synchronise either with the PhatNotes desktop or Outlook. So it may just wind up that I'll have to use the built-in notes rather than PhatNotes to sync notes on my Mac.

But I do have to admit that with the addition of Notes capability, I really can synchronise only with my Mac if I so deisre.

Gotta play some more....

Don

Old 11-10-2006, 05:43 AM
Pixelnose
Ponderer

Any word on if they ever correct some of the old version 1.0 bugs that seemingly continued through v2? There was a slight issue if you weren't in a US time zone with ical recurring events. It would keep moving them a day forward, until before you know it, Christmas is January the 6th.

There was also an issue with dropped bt connections. Support blamed my 2210, but it happened with multiple devices, the 2210, the 4700, and the imate jam. Also on multiple macs - on my old lampshade imac with bt usb dongle, and with g4 ibook (integrated bt). I was able to pretty well narrow down that it wasn't me.

Pocketmac never had these issues though. Markspace is prettier with the design and quicker with the updates, but this only matters if it actually works.

Anyone know if it does or not? Can it keep a stable connect and synchronise appointments reliably?

Update - nevermind, just had a look at their forums. Sadly, the features are cool but only if the core purpose of the program actually works. Sadly it doesn't seem those bugs are fixed, if the forum threads are anything to go by.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:06 AM
T-Will
Sage

Will this give file sync for capability for Smartphones (namely the Dash)???

Old 11-10-2006, 03:26 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will
I normally just transfer files via Bluetooth on my SDA. MS does have file transfer capabilities, but I've never used it. It will also sync with iTunes and iPhoto, although again, I've never used those features.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:29 PM
T-Will
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonsky
Quote:
I normally just transfer files via Bluetooth on my SDA. MS does have file transfer capabilities, but I've never used it. It will also sync with iTunes and iPhoto, although again, I've never used those features.
Hmm...I'm using Windows XP with a Dash and couldn't find any way to sync files, I think you're saying you can transfer files through ActiveSync, but not synchronize.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:18 PM
petvas
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas Send a message via Skype™ to petvas

The Missing Sync version 3 is a great application and make us, the MAC users really very happy! I own an ipaq 6915 and it really works great!
Version 2.5 was good but good be better. Well, version 3.0 is really much better than AS or anything else on the market.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:56 PM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm...I'm using Windows XP with a Dash and couldn't find any way to sync files, I think you're saying you can transfer files through ActiveSync, but not synchronize.
:?: Missing Sync is an application for synchronising Macs with WM PDAs and Phones. There is no Active Sync on the Mac.

But even on XP, you can synchronise files that are in My Documents on the device. You just have to make sure you have selected to synchronise files in the Tools menu of Active Sync.

The Dash is a SmartPhone - Smartphones don't have the option to synchronise files with AS (well, at least the option doesn't exist on my SDA).

Don

Old 11-10-2006, 08:08 PM
T-Will
Sage

Quote:
:?: Missing Sync is an application for synchronising Macs with WM PDAs and Phones. There is no Active Sync on the Mac.

But even on XP, you can synchronise files that are in My Documents on the device. You just have to make sure you have selected to synchronise files in the Tools menu of Active Sync.

The Dash is a SmartPhone - Smartphones don't have the option to synchronise files with AS (well, at least the option doesn't exist on my SDA).

Don
Yeah that's what I thought about the Smartphone sync...but I didn't realize Missing Sync was for Mac only... ops: