Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default End of the Road for Pocket Streets?

http://gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi...?topic_id=68026

"Where is MS Pocket Streets? It's gone! I don't know the reason, but it's just simply not there. S&T still has the ability to export small map areas for use with MS Pocket Streets, but the Pocket Streets program itself is no longer included. I searched the installation DVD, but the old PStreets folder is not there. I checked the Help file, but the section titled Working with Pocket Streets has been removed, too. It comes as a surprise. Does it mean Microsoft is abandoning Pocket Streets?"

It was only a few months ago that we saw Microsoft drop Pocket Money, and now the word on the streets (excuse the pun) is that Pocket Streets (once a stand-alone product; this year acting as an exclusive OEM- and Streets & Trips / MapPoint-bundled application) has suffered the same fate. While this finding has yet to be confirmed by Microsoft, this is a concern for Windows Mobile 5.0 users who still have no fix for Pocket Streets' compatibility issues. If you use Pocket Streets, tell us what's running through your mind.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker
Default Sad

I have used half a dozen desktop mapping programs. MS streets is the first desktop one I've ever used that didn't lock-up my computer. On top of that it is a satisfactory WinMob tool too.
I prefer the way Mapopolis worked on my Palms, but Mapopolis killed you on the prices of the maps.
I got MS S&T for just $10 this Spring and as far as I have seen it has maps of the entire US included. That is a remarkable value.
I really wish it supported my Axim's VGA screen. What was the point of updating it and what was the point of WinMob officially supporting VGA if they weren't even going to get that to work?
I do hope MS has something better up its sleeve than to just let WinMob die.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:51 PM
mvirata
Pupil

You can get PocketStreets to display as VGA using the techinque shown below:

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=103786

It really works great with the map display.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:07 PM
mikemcw
Neophyte
Default Better Solutions

Microsoft probably realized that there are better solutions out there. I've been using on old version of Ostia and it beat any version of PS easily. However, the ultimate solution for the business traveler is to go out and buy a small, dedicated GPS unit. As much as I like my I730, Ostia, Pharos bluetooth combo, nothing beats my Lowrance Iway 350c for ease of use and convenience.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:40 PM
jkendrick
Thinker

I believe Pocket Streets is still included with MapPoint 2006, although the lack of WM5 support is still an issue.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:42 PM
JohnJohn
Thinker

So the new version of S&T will not load PocketStreets on my smartphone or PocketPC? You can still send maps if you have PS loaded right?

Guess I'll be trying to find the .cab fil on my 2006 CD and keeping it in a safe place.

I use PS all the time with my NAVMAN bluettooth GPS and C3125. This bites, maybe I don't need the 2007 version of S&T after all.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:05 PM
jimfee
Ponderer

Unfortunately I think this is a trend, MS is driven by business decisions, and the ROI for financial and mapping aps isn't there anymore.

They should really see these as opportunities; people are attracted to WinMob products for the compatibility of Desktop to handheld workspaces. Pocket Excel, Pocket Word etc. even though there are more sophisticated TPAs out there.

Third party guys should also see this as an opportunity, make a desktop component to your mobile app and it ads a hell of allot of value. Despite the advanced displays a handheld device is inherently limited by being just that (about the size of your hand) most people will be using a stand alone or laptop in conjunction for the foreseeable future.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:00 PM
flooder
Ponderer

I used to use Pocket Streets but have found that I like Delorme's Product much better.

This fall Delorme finally stopped selling the mobile version as a separate product. The Mobile product (PPC or Palm) is now bundled into Street Atlas.

It might be a little more complicated to use but it is also much more powerful once you get around the desktop and pocket version a bit.

Great for Geocaching or taking trips.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Cybrid
Pontificator

Huh? Maybe this will sound silly but the P&S 2006 does have cabs for WinMobile 5 and has a handheld advertised on it....hx 2400 series?
What issues?

Other than 2007 has no pocket streets and if we find any new issues were hooped?

Old 10-13-2006, 05:46 PM
after_forever
Pupil

I too have switched to DeLorme atlas earlier this year with �07 version. It offers voice prompts and route capabilities where PS doesn�t handle. DeLorme is not as user friendly to move around like PS was. It did take me a bit of reading the manual to figure out syncing maps and routes, but after you figure out those oddities you will have no problems.