Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Telstra's Next G Up and Running

http://www.telstra.com.au/nextgnetwork/index.htm

"Australia's fastest and largest mobile broadband network, Telstra's turbo-charged NEXT G is now live across Australia, built in a record ten months. Telstra Chief Executive Officer, Mr Sol Trujillo, and the President and Chief Executive Officer of Ericsson, Mr Carl-Henric Svanberg, switched on the new NEXT G (3GSM 850 MHz) network today with video calls to locations across regional Australia, including Thursday Island - far north QLD, Southport - TAS, Cape Byron - NSW and Broome - WA. Mr Trujillo said Telstra shareholders' $1 billion investment in the world's geographically largest national 3GSM network delivers unequalled customer reach and speed across the country and is globally acknowledged as a superior spectrum for breadth and depth of coverage. NEXT G is more than 100 times bigger geographically than any other 3GSM network in Australia, delivering voice and broadband services to 98 per cent of the population... Turbo-charged with High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), NEXT G is up to 50 times faster than dial-up and up to five times faster than other 3GSM networks. Telstra customers will experience network download speeds averaging 550Kbps to 1.5Mbps, and peak network speeds of up to 3.6Mbps, increasing up to 14.4Mbps early next year."

Australia's major carrier, Telstra, has just launched the nationwide Next G 850MHz network, dwarfing existing 3G networks offered by competing carriers such as Optus, Vodafone, and 3, and even its own 2100MHz network operating in major cities. The i-mate JASJAM is the first Windows Mobile-based device to be supported by Telstra's Next G. With Optus and 3 planning to offer the Dopod 838 Pro within weeks, there will now be more ways than one to pick up a Hermes this Christmas. 8)

Old 10-06-2006, 08:35 AM
MitchellO
Oracle

I have the say $1299 isn't a bad price for the JASJAM. I expect the dopod 838 Pro to be cheaper though, and cheaper again when subsidized by 3. Will be waiting for them to release it. Telstra are just too damn expensive

Old 10-06-2006, 09:17 AM
nGage
Pupil

Anyone try their Mobile Coverage Search... My results were somewhat comical, but then for Telstra that is pretty much what I expect :wink:

I searched for where I live in Sydney and got the following result (including the spellilng mistakes!!!!)

"There is currently no Cellular Mobile coverage in the are you have selected.
If you are looking to purchase a mobile phone for use in this area Telstra Mobile Satellite Service is recommended.
Please contact your nearest Telstra Dealer."

Not a good 1st impression given their coverage claims.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:36 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

For those of us in the US, I think it's great news that we now see another country start to use the 850 MHz band. Hopefully this means we'll start to see more quad band phones, since the market just got larger.