Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-21-2006, 02:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default News Update on the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox T800 series

http://www.firstloox.org/index.php?...2_articleid=340

"Back on 24 June we posted that the FCC had approved the release of the upcoming Pocket Loox T800 series. However - back at the start of September the FCC added to the filed documents listed on their site. This time they included a manual. The reason for the newer filing seems to be that the T800 series was resubmitted for testing after being 'fixed' so that WiFi and the GSM/GPRS radio can be used simultaneously - this follows an earlier attestation that the radios would not work at the same time. Following on from this the original filing has also been updated and now includes a wealth of documents including: the manual, external photos (including the bundled headset and external GPS aerial along with a short USB host adaptor cable) and internal photos."

Along with the new FCC documentation, the T800 series has also been Bluetooth qualified. All I can say is - YUMMY! If there was a converged device I would plop my hard earned cash for, it's the T830. The Hermes may be the creme de la creme of the current crop of QVGA devices, but the T830 is/will be the leader for square-screen devices. The specs are to die for:

�Intel 416MHz processor
�2.4in 240x240 screen
�802.11g wifi (!!!)
�Bluetooth 2.0, Class 2 (with Broadcomm stack!!!)
�GPS (SirfStarIII!!!) with ability to add an external antenna
�USB Host
�3G/UMTS (HSDPA tbc)
�64MB RAM, 128MB ROM
�SDIO slot (!!!)
�2MP camera with autofocus (!!!) + video call camera (T830 only)
�1500mAH battery (!!!)

Can you tell I'm excited? About the only problem with these devices are how hard they are/will be to get outside Europe. You can get the lowdown on the FCC documentation here, and the Bluetooth qualification news here.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:36 AM
WyattEarp
Sage

Finally a device with SD and not this mini and micr stuff. Some finally realized that SD can still fit. I'd get this over the Treo 7xx or HP 6915 just for the SD slot.
That BT 2.0 and included GPS is like icing on the cake. Sweet device there.

Now only if someone could squeeze in 480x480 I too might fall out my seat with exictiment.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:41 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I just glanced through the link, but will it be quadband? If so, :clap:

Old 09-21-2006, 02:57 AM
RogueSpear
Ponderer

This looks good enough to where I may even forgive the lack of VGA. Now all I'll need to do is find a way to get one here in the states.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:22 AM
nosmohtac
Sage

I agree this will be at the top of the heap of PPCPE devices, but I only hope that it comes out as quadband. Everything I've read so far indicates that it will only be tri-band.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:24 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear
This looks good enough to where I may even forgive the lack of VGA. Now all I'll need to do is find a way to get one here in the states.
You can preorder from the Clove. The price is still tentative, but Clove are confident it'll hold up. First units are expected to be shipped in October. I bought my Loox 720 from them - 1st class service!

Old 09-21-2006, 04:58 AM
debbi8
Pupil

Uh-oh, I feel another attack of gottahaveitis coming on! This may finally replace my FS720 in a way my Q9100 just can't - I still use the 720 for work and play; the 9100 is only for unwi-fed communcation and navigation. Is this finally -dare I say it - the pclove: true convergence device I've been waiting for?

Old 09-21-2006, 05:21 AM
JesterMania
Thinker

Wow...SD slot and USB host. Other manufacturers should really learn from these guys.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:48 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Looking at it's dimensions... You should be able to use it for self-defense too!

Old 09-21-2006, 06:43 AM
spacehog
Pupil

If you can remember the Benq P50, this thing is about 1.3x the volume of that brick. Word is from some early testers that the QC behind the device is exceptionally good. Excellent WiFi reception, not a single dropped call, crystal clear voice, great battery life... Pretty much all the essential functions are bullet-proof on this thing.

So it comes down to functionality over aesthetics. Up to you to decide what's more important..