Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 09-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Life at Microsoft's Mobile and Embedded Devices Division

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busin...html?source=rss

"With long, shared desks and a wide-open interior, one work space at Microsoft is an unexpected sight inside a company that has traditionally championed individual offices. But the unusual aspects don't end there. The design team that works in the space spends part of its time generating new hardware concepts for mobile phones and other devices, not limiting itself to Microsoft's customary focus on software. It also studies user behavior and works on design from the outset of product development -- not as a procedural afterthought. Then there's those Nerf toy guns near the window, and all that beer in the refrigerator. "A team that has fun builds fun products," explains Horace Luke, 36, the creative director who leads the group, the User Experience Team, within the company's Mobile and Embedded Devices division."

Seattle PI has published an interesting article that takes the reader behind the scenes into the playpen of Microsoft's Mobile and Embedded Devices division. Worth a read, if you're interested in learning more about what keeps MED ticking.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

So this is where they're bending the light rays to create Photon...

Old 09-06-2006, 04:16 PM
seaflipper
Intellectual

Hey check out that 20" Apple Cinema display they have there...

Cool

Old 09-07-2006, 06:41 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Ya gotta love any job where jeans and a t-shirt are acceptable workplace attire.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
Ya gotta love any job where jeans and a t-shirt are acceptable workplace attire.
It's quite common among major computer companies these days - at least, the ones that I've visited.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:58 AM
kennyg
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Quote:
It's quite common among major computer companies these days - at least, the ones that I've visited.
That is changing in a hurry, I've been in the tech business 20 years and when I came in it was ties and dress shirts and while it isn't going back to that, suit coats and dress shirts are common.

Kenny.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:08 AM
timcolling
Ponderer

Quote:
Ya gotta love any job where jeans and a t-shirt are acceptable workplace attire. :)
A few years ago I worked in R&D at a large PC software company in Northen California.

We knew that (to our chagrin) our product architecht was interviewing with other companies when he started coming to work in long pants instead of shorts!

- Tim