Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default HP iPAQ rx4000 Mobile Media Companion Revealed

http://www.cnetasia.com/reviews/not...39403981,00.htm

The standalone PDA isn't quite dead yet - at least, according to HP. A report over at CNET Asia talks about the company's upcoming iPAQ Mobile Media Companion, the rx4000. Expected in the Asia-Pacific region in October, the device features a 2.8" QVGA display (landscape-oriented, by default), integrated 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, an SDIO slot (yes, we like this over miniSD and microSD), 128MB of memory, a scroll wheel, and Windows Mobile 5.0. For US$299, it's yours (perhaps a little more, if you're not in the Asia-Pacific region and are forced to import).

Update: the::unwired has additional details.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 PM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph
Default Re: HP iPAQ rx4000 Mobile Media Companion Revealed

It is disappointing that they define it as a "Mobile Media Companion" but fail to give it any sort of reasonable internal memory. It should not be beyond the wit of man to include a >2GB hard drive it it! 128mb is just insulting!

Old 09-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

I think the fact that it has SDIO more than makes up for the lack of internal ROM. What I find disappointing is the screen - 2.8"? Still that ought to make for decent battery life.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Timothy Rapson
Thinker
Default Looks good

This looks very nice to me. I love the location of the buttons as the number 1 button problem I have had for years is buttons actuating when I don't want them too. It has driven me nuts, or almost nuts.

The screen is way too small for my uses, but the other features sound very, very good.

What happened to the MS dictates about button locations? Is there a new OS on the way for this model?

Old 09-04-2006, 02:56 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

I hope it has some way to do iPod video. Before, you could get mpeg, wmv, or DivX format videos nearly everywhere. Most places have replaced nearly all other formats with Mpeg-4 format compatible with iPod Video. So far, because of licensing, it has been difficult to get this format to play on Pocket PCs.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Old 09-04-2006, 03:05 PM
dbrahms
Intellectual
Default just a rant...

who cares anymore. same ole stuff in a new package. there hasnt been any new PDA recently that has given us anything new. It's the same old stuff in new wrapping. Heck, even Palm threw in a 4gb hard drive in their LifeDrive..which is a monster but still they're giving it a whirl.

Personally, I'm waiting for the next PDA Phone that will give me headaches. the 6315, the 6600 and now the 6700. After this, I'm done. back to a standard phone that works. No more manufactures that take forever to give ROM updates, no more cell phone carriers that have no in-store support for PDA phones etc. Seems they put out a product and see who the suckers are...and I've been a sucker now three times over. My old Ipaq 3975 was the last one that was reliable...sort of.

But at least I can watch pointless streaming video on my phone for the 20 minutes of commuting that I have...just enough time to watch a show stutter, freeze and pixelate all the way home.

Or, maybe I can be cool stream an mp3 from my PDA/phone to a mono, bluetooth headset that sounds like, well, it wasnt designed for real music audio.

How's about a poll: The percentage of us who continually fight with our devices because we're hoping that all the cool stuff that COULD be cool, would one day work as we'd hope. Until then, we'll continue to spend $500 on devices...just becasue we love a good challenge and even moreso, enjoy telling people how cool and good these devices are...and then say "well, it's not working right now because...."

Old 09-04-2006, 03:13 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

Personally, I love this new look. It's too bad it doesn't have a VGA screen (for better quality movies) or a CF + SD slot combo like on my hx2790 or the hx4700. I'd still love to give it a try when it comes out though.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbud
I hope it has some way to do iPod video. Before, you could get mpeg, wmv, or DivX format videos nearly everywhere. Most places have replaced nearly all other formats with Mpeg-4 format compatible with iPod Video. So far, because of licensing, it has been difficult to get this format to play on Pocket PCs.
While the rx4000 hardware is suited for the task (as are most other Pocket PCs), its ability to replicate the iPod's functionality is still limited by the platform and the applications available for it. At the moment, TCPMP is regarded as the leader in video playback. If it can play the MPEG-4s in question, you're in luck. If not, you'll have to sit and wait (or just settle for an iPod, which is designed to playback iTMS content).

Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 PM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
At the moment, TCPMP is regarded as the leader in video playback. If it can play the MPEG-4s in question, you're in luck
The next major release should play MPEG4 (H.264), but you'll have to purchase the codec seperately.
MPEG4 Audio and AAC can already be played with plugins that are floating around the net.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:30 PM
isajoo
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to isajoo

is this a joke? 8O

i think they must have said, people are not buying pocket pc's... LET's change the name and THEN they will buy them.

2.8: screen
NO FLASH MEMORY INCLUDED... atleast 256 for a "Media Companion" decive.

$299 is the only good part. but thats only means that they are trying to get IPOD users to buy. BUT, HELLO HP, IPOD COME WITH A HUGE HARD DRIVE.

morons, when will they learn.