Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Treo News: Sprint's 700wx in the Wild, 700w Discount, pocketnow Compares 700w and 700p

Three interesting Windows Mobile Treo tidbits dropped into our news queue the last few days.

• Gadgets on the Go is reporting that the 700wx can already be purchased from some Sprint stores (that's their pic shown above, from an LA store, as proof). Prices seem to be around $649. Engadget's current rumor mill suggests that the official release date will be August 31.

• I wonder if Verizon is spooked by Sprint release of the 700wx; Brighthand is reporting that you can get an additional $100 as a mail-in-rebate off the price of the 700w and the 700p, reducing the price to $299 (with contract). This deal is valid until September 10 and is accessible through Verizon Wireless's website.

• Finally, pocketnow.com puts the 700p and the 700w through their paces and tries to compare the two. The two come in with similar overall scores, although they note the 700p is a bit "simpler" but the 700w has more features. I'm not sure I agree about the simpler bit, but there are some interesting comparative screen shots and discussion raised in the article.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

All well and good for Sprint users, but my only interest is the GSM model. According to reports we may hear an announcement of that come Sept. 12, but it could prove only to be the Vodaphone model and nothing more, which will leave me sobbing at my keyboard.

I'm torn between the unlocked GSM Windows Mobile Treo or the HTC TyTn. On the other hand the bloody TyTn is hella expensive. And the Treo may be just around the corner. Then again the Treo probably won't have WiFi (as usual) and that leaves me looking back in TyTn's direction.

Gawd! When will these handset vendors get their sh!it together and design the perfect smartphone. My blood pressure has gone up 30 points just thinking about it! :roll:

Old 08-24-2006, 10:48 PM
echernosky
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
Gawd! When will these handset vendors get their sh!it together and design the perfect smartphone. My blood pressure has gone up 30 points just thinking about it! :roll:
I agree. I am just appalled at how the majority of them just don't get it. Releasing the 700w with 32 megs is a perfect example. 32 megs? My Casio E-115 had 32 megs. C'mon!

Drop the th(d)umboards! Please! Let's get serious about form factor. Take the keyboard off the xv6700 and the 700w and you have 2 pretty decent form factors.

I just keep reminding myself that they aren't designing these things for us techno-geeks. They are desigining them for the masses. People who haven't perfected the art of handwriting recognition over the past 9 years.

Sigh. I know the day is coming when the perfect smartphone is coming. AND I know I won't have to pay $45/month extra to access the web. I know it. I know it.

I just can't wait.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 PM
ntractv
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to ntractv

Quote:
Originally Posted by echernosky
Drop the th(d)umboards! Please! Let's get serious about form factor. Take the keyboard off the xv6700 and the 700w and you have 2 pretty decent form factors.

I just keep reminding myself that they aren't designing these things for us techno-geeks. They are desigining them for the masses. People who haven't perfected the art of handwriting recognition over the past 9 years.
Actually, the 700w is the perfect form factor with the keyboard. I would rather have the keyboard for texting and sending e-mail than writing it all out.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:33 AM
eagle63
Ponderer

I can't imagine not having a keyboard. And yes, I am a major techno geek. The Treo is as close to a perfect form factor as any device has come so far.