Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default T-Mobile Releases Updated MDA ROM!

http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloa...etail.cfm?id=80

"TMOBILE has posted the long awaited ROM (ver 2.26) for the MDA USA. It contains a Radio Fix addressing the searching, signal acquirring issue as well as A2DP. Remember, you need a Fully Charged MDA before you get started, and make sure your PC will not go into Hibernate during the install. Also, on a personal experience note, I had a 3-5 minute pause when I got to 85%. Just as I began to worry, it picked back up. You never want to disturb the process or disconnect the cable. Complete instructions are included in the ROM Upgrade."

Got some extra time on your Sunday afternoon? Or perhaps want something to delay your work on Monday Morning? Sounds like there's a new ROM in town for the MDA, and with AKU 2.2 Roms being slow to ship, I'd be suprised if the files in this ROM only go to their intended T-Mobile customers!

Now where are the other manufacturers in their AKU 2.2 releases???

Old 07-30-2006, 11:06 PM
dangerwit
Intellectual

Done and done. Excited to see what comes as a result of this. Is there a changes doc anywhere that was found?

Old 07-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Ohmigod. The only thing keeping my MDA in mothballs was the seeking issue.

If that's fixed...

Ohmigod.

Ohmigod.

Ohmigod.

I'm charging the old girl and will get back to the forum immediately.

Ohmigod.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:18 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent M Ferrari
Ohmigod. The only thing keeping my MDA in mothballs was the seeking issue.
what issue was that?

Old 07-31-2006, 01:20 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

If I dropped out of coverage, sometimes it took upwards of 20 minutes to get the signal back.

Too damned long and it made the phone unusable.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Wow. I must say this is a worthwhile upgrade. In the past 4 hours since installing the update I've noticed the following things:

- Startup time is much faster after a soft-reset
- Signal strengh is more reliable and stronger
- ACTIVESYNC (4.2) SYNCS FASTER!
- Brand new Communications Manager is much better than old one. It gives new options for Data Connection, IR/Beam, DirectPush and ActiveSync, in addition to Phone, Bluetooth and WLAN connections (there is also a red shortcut icon to CommManager in the lower right corner of Today screen.
- New "Lock/Unlock Device" item added to Today screen
- Changes to Signal indicator on top bar
- New Network Connection Settings added

I was reluctant to upgrade since I had to reinstall EVERYTHING, but glad I did!

P.S. - I also experienced the terrible signal drop issue. I don't know for sure yet if it's fixed but will know in next few days![/list]

Old 07-31-2006, 02:20 AM
MarcFou
Intellectual

Upgrading now from 1.8... (Crosses fingers)

Old 07-31-2006, 03:56 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

well, I am glad thoseissues are fixed, but what in the world is t-mobile doing to that thing? :?: My K-Jam has never had those issues and it came out last november. carriers need to focus on device stability and reliability in their radio stacks and quit farting around with the "pretty" customizations and branding garbage.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:03 AM
Silver5
Intellectual

I would love for those of you who install this upgrade to post back here with your experiences with it.

I am using the 2.17 Qtek ROM on my Qtek 9100 and it is close to perfect. However, I have experienced the signal searching issue so if this ROM fixes that I will be happy to upgrade...so lon as there are no other problems wit it.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:06 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage

Initial Reaction:

So far so good. It's much faster and the COMM manager is much better (more control, etc).

I'll know tomorrow if the radio picks up any quicker.

Ed: I don't know if you can entirely blame the carrier for the seeking issue. I had a hacked ROM that was basically a rework of I-Mate's and it was the same exact thing.

As I said, boot time is MUCH quicker, the device is a hair more responsive, and I haven't had any real weirdness since I did it. Only time will truly tell.