Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 07-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Hotmail Is Not Push Mail - Why?

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3201

"Under the subject "Microsoft, please add push functionality to Hotmail for Microsoft mobile devices!" Robert Webbe (you know - the guy who knows everything about Bluetooth A2DP and AVRC) sent me an interesting E-Mail yesterday and the topic he raised is absolutely worth to discuss. Why is msn not offering MSFP functionalities for its MSN Hotmail Plus service which costs yearly 19,99 Euro already! I mean, for sure you get for your 20 Euro 2 GB storage space, you can send and receive E-Mails with up to 20 MB attachments and you are not bothered by any ad-banners but - and this might make the Hotmail Plus so worth for some - you can also access your Hotmail account via Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express. "

Arne and friends over at the:unwired bring up a good point. Why doesn't Microsoft offer some form of push email for Hotmail users? It would seem like a logical choice to me - it would keep people on a Microsoft system (vs. moving to a hosted exchange solution) and would be another service that they could include (and, unfortunately for us, charge for if they wished). Anyone care to venture a guess at why Push Email hasn't been implemented in Hotmail?

Old 07-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

My guess? Because then every employee who wants push but whose employer won't implement it would auto-forward every piece of corporate e-mail to Hotmail for push delivery. That would not only create a system with unpredictable volumes and such, but it would also reduce the incentive for employers to implement push on their own.

Or, maybe they just didn't think of it...

Old 07-27-2006, 02:40 PM
ds2021
Neophyte

Microsoft has previously stated that the ability to implement MSFP is carrier dependent. They could not implement this on Hotmail because they would have to coordinate implementation with every applicable mobile carrier.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:41 PM
PDANEWBIE
Thinker

You have to remember this is the same service that had Outlook connections using the http methods configuration for free accounts in their helpfile and indicated they were removing that functionality quite awhile ago. Of course I still have the cheat sheet they provided at the time and you can setup Outlook to access the webmail even using these free accounts. But they no longer provide this information.

Sounds more like a company that is getting more restrictive than it is one keeping up with the times.

Not complaining because I do use it for free and who can complain about free but any service that puts more limitations on something then they do enhancements makes me wonder.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:05 PM
x51vuser
Ponderer

Just sign in to Messenger and you have push functionality working

Old 07-27-2006, 03:32 PM
aroma
Thinker
Default Re: Hotmail Is Not Push Mail - Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall
it would keep people on a Microsoft system (vs. moving to a hosted exchange solution)
But is that such a bad deal for MS? I would be curiuos to see how the figures would play our for the revenue/cost for MS of a 3rd party hosted exchange server versus the revunue/cost of MS Hotmail on a per user basis.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds2021
Microsoft has previously stated that the ability to implement MSFP is carrier dependent. They could not implement this on Hotmail because they would have to coordinate implementation with every applicable mobile carrier.
Not quite. MSFP is the client-side code to support push email. While it does require a ROM update from the carrier or phone vendor, once that's done the device supports push from any Exchange server running SP2 -- it's just HTTP requests. There's no reason MS couldn't implement the Exchange ActiveSync server protocol in Hotmail, except that it may be significant amounts of work and a cost MS doesn't feel is justified at the moment.

--janak

Old 07-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by x51vuser
Just sign in to Messenger and you have push functionality working
That's not quite true push, though. At best, it's periodic checks of Hotmail... and as for Messenger, the device has to stay on to get Messenger messages. With MSFP push, the device can be on/off and employs a number of cool technologies to get real push.

--janak

Old 07-27-2006, 04:12 PM
MG
Ponderer

Isn't it obvious? Their Exchange servers are not SP2 compliant 8O

Mark

Old 07-27-2006, 05:09 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Wouldn't this compete with "Outlook Live" or whatever they were trying to sell for $50./year or so? I think MS believes hotmail is consumer -- no need for push and Outlook/Exchange is business and needs Push.

Are they even still selling Outlook Live? If I recall it was there own hosted Exchange solution and they provided a copy of Outlook for use with your purchase.