Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Keyboards and Keypads: Sharp and Willcom's "es" W-ZERO3 Pocket PC Phone Edition

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/new...+PDA+Phone.html

Today, Sharp, Willcom, and Microsoft announced a new W-ZERO3 device (known as the "es") for the Japanese market, and I'm going to be upfront here by saying that this new variant looks hideously Lego brick-like. 8O

On the bright side, it has a 2.8" VGA (480 x 640) TFT-LCD (yes, you read that correctly; no, it doesn't mean that text will be painfully small), and also, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, a miniSD slot, a 1.3-megapixel camera, a numeric keypad, a slide-out keyboard, and Windows Mobile 5.0. Unfortunately, no Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (boo!), but it does have support for a DMB tuner. Note that this isn't your standard GSM phone, so those of you hoping to import one will have little luck. It's only compatible with Japan's PHS network.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:55 PM
daS
Thinker

For me, the big news in this story is that after abandoning Windows CE for Linux for their handhelds, Sharp is back to Windows Mobile - at least for this domestic-only device.

Since the Zaurus line doesn't currently include a phone, perhaps Sharp will start producing a Windows Mobile Phone Edition for the US market. That would be great, since I've always liked Sharp's hardware designs.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

No Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, and a hideous shape!

Old 07-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

No BT? Don't they use BT headsets in Japan? At this level of device, you'd think it would support that unless it is just not an important selling point over there.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

If only Sharp would run WM on this style of device:

Old 07-04-2006, 07:39 PM
saru83
Thinker

They do bulid VERY sold cell phones. It looks bulky but it has a VGA screen though

Old 07-04-2006, 08:15 PM
alese
Philosopher

Looking at the pictures from the launch, the device does not look too bulky, I could definatelly see myself using something like this, but the best thing is 2.8" VGA screen.

I just hope that this is a sign of things to come, I would love to see/get/use GSM/UMTS devices with 2,8" VGA screen.
OK, maybe the TrueVGA hack would be worthless on such small screen, but having quality VGA screen would be awsome.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:50 AM
mystickid
Neophyte

Is there any possibility for this phone to work on a GSM sim card. I live in the USA, is it possble at all to import this phone and have it work with T-mobile or Cingular? :roll:

Old 07-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystickid
Is there any possibility for this phone to work on a GSM sim card. I live in the USA, is it possble at all to import this phone and have it work with T-mobile or Cingular? :roll:
Unfortunately, no. As stated in the original news post, it's only compatible with Japan's PHS networks, so you're out of luck with regard to importing.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:42 PM
inteller
Banned

Congratulations Sharp, YOU FAILED IT.

And to answer another poster's question, no in Asia they dont use a lot of BT headsets, sticking the headset up to their ear is a status symbol and fashion statement. They constantly yearn to show off their handsets.