Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default A12 ROM Update (AKU 2.3.1) Available for Dell Axim X51/X51v

Dell has released the A12 ROM update for the Dell Axim X51/X51v, and it includes the following enhancements and fixes:

� Windows Mobile 5.0 Adaptation Kit Update 2.3.1 enhancement.
� Audio driver change (headset output gain adjustment) due to French audio regulation.
� Fix system can't wake up with CF card installed.
� Enhance CF I/O card performance.
� Fix CF serial modem port Open/Close issue.
� Support ActiveSync serial connection switcher.

And for all you X50/X50v users with the Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade (like myself), note that this ROM update cannot be used. Well, uh, back to using that buggy ROM then, eh? :roll:

Download: A12 ROM Update for Dell Axim X51 and Dell Axim X51v

Old 07-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Needless to say, I'm thrilled :-)

I always love the smell of a fresh ROM in the morning... So far so good. I just have to reinstall all my crap now :?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:39 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

Why can't any of the OEMs do what Palm did on the Treo 700w? We upgraded those to AKU2 without any loss of apps, settings or data.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

In the end, I can live with it, though. Clears out the bit rot and stuff...

Old 07-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to Patrick Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_kac
Why can't any of the OEMs do what Palm did on the Treo 700w? We upgraded those to AKU2 without any loss of apps, settings or data.
It's stated in the upgrade that user can use the built-in backup/restore utility to restore from the previous backup.

I just upgraded my x51v... So far so good despite the messy restore using sprite. ops:

Old 07-04-2006, 02:32 AM
Mitch D
Sage

I am beginning to think this will be the last device I buy from Dell, I still have two or three months of regular warranty left and it appears Dell has abandoned all the loyal X50v users by not dealing with the issues it is having when running under WM5. I keep feeling that I just wasted my money on the upgrade.... Once burned, twice shy...

Old 07-04-2006, 03:45 AM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to Patrick Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch D
I am beginning to think this will be the last device I buy from Dell, I still have two or three months of regular warranty left and it appears Dell has abandoned all the loyal X50v users by not dealing with the issues it is having when running under WM5. I keep feeling that I just wasted my money on the upgrade.... Once burned, twice shy...
Hmm... You might want to consider this: http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=124633
That's what most people with WM5 x50v did....

Good luck!!

Edited: posted the wrong link earlier. Sorry... ops:

Old 07-04-2006, 10:33 AM
surfer
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to surfer

It's a great update. The update worked without problem for me.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:35 AM
DaViD_BRaNDoN
Intellectual

Pardon me for my ignorant but what's new in A12 ROM's "Windows Mobile V5.0 Adaptation Kit Update 2.3.1 enhancement" from my current A05 ROM (Axim X51)? :| I do know it has something to do with enhanced Bluetooth profile, right?

Gonna be upgrading mine over the weekend :mrgreen:

Old 07-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD_BRaNDoN
Pardon me for my ignorant but what's new in A12 ROM's "Windows Mobile V5.0 Adaptation Kit Update 2.3.1 enhancement" from my current A05 ROM (Axim X51)? :| I do know it has something to do with enhanced Bluetooth profile, right?
Unfortunately, Microsoft has never publicly released a history with each Windows Mobile 5.0 AKU, but know that AKU 2.3 contains a whole collection of bug fixes and enhancements that are worth having. AKU 2.x also adds support for A2DP (for stereo audio over Bluetooth) via the Microsoft Bluetooth stack, but the downside here is that the vendor has the option of removing it. Whether Dell removed it in A12 is something I'm unsure of, since I don't have an X51/X51v to test it out. If anyone gets around to checking, please let us know!