Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default The Destruction Of The English Language?

Earlier This Week on a forum devoted to the Pocket PC version of an anonymous piece of software:

"hi people just installed the app 5 min ago, and be4 the app loads up i get a message saying Expired so how am i ment to c if it works on my device be4 buying. i have had non of the deluxe versions on my xda 4 more than a day cus non of the others worked can sum1 please help me i realy want to buy the app if it works"

8O Now there was a time when writing like this would have been thought to be the work of an 8 year old, today however, it's common. The scary thing is, it's starting to creep into forums and user groups that common sense suggests it shouldn't. After all, what would this guy use a Pocket PC for?

With the advent of instant messaging, SMS messages, screen keyboards (Where text entry can be painfully slow), and tri-tap on phones with only numeric keyboards, abbreviations make sense. But has it gone too far? Technically, language theorists debate if a language should take a proscriptive approach (where the rules are clearly defined and people are obligated to follow them) or a descriptive approach (where the rules are modified to suit the current usage of the language). I've always felt strongly that language should be descriptive, but now I'm starting to see the proscriptive light. The even scarier fact is that I've received essays from college freshman that include 'u', 'becuz', and similar! What do you think - is it a serious threat to the English language, will it pass, or is it actually a <shudder> good thing?

Old 06-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Well, my father is a retired English professor, so you can imagine what position has been engrained into my brain...

I have to agree with you, Jon; even though there is a place for abbreviations, like SMS and very casual exchanges, in other types of discussions it just looks a bit -- sorry -- ignorant. Every time I've landed a new job, promotion or desired "upgrade," I've tried to find out what tipped the scales in my favor, so I can try to continue to develop those skills. Without fail, an ability to communicate effectively and write professionally is at the top of the list.

So, kids, stay in school!!!

Old 06-30-2006, 02:44 PM
capo
Ponderer
Default context is everything

Maybe I'm mistaken, but my guess is that a post written like that will be less effective in collecting useful replies than one where the author obviously took the time to try to communicate clearly. I tend to surf blogs sometimes when I get bored - when I run into one written in such a way that it almost needs a translator, I move on. Same thing with forum posts like the one you quoted. If I'd run into it in a forum instead of your editorial piece, I would have stopped reading about half way through.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Tierran
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tierran Send a message via AIM to Tierran

Y'know, it may hurt some sensibilities but in the grand scheme of things...it may be quite a natural progression. Language is pretty fluid over time. Some of what we see is shorthand...easier to type on a phone.

But some will stick I imagine. Not the end of civilization

Old 06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Undoubtedly there is a natural progression to spoken and written language. Try reading a book written 200 years ago, 500 years ago or 1,000 years ago.

But the issue here is one of communication. I hang around several professional forums where the posters are all over the world. At least 30% of the posters are not native English speakers. When someone comes along using abbreviations like those noted here, we politely ask them to use plain English. The reason is simple. If you want people to understand and answer your questions, they should be presented as clearly and concisely as possible. If the reader has to spend an extra few moments (or minuntes in some cases) understanding what the writer wrote, then the question will very likely go unanswered.

On the other hand, if the discussion board is less formal abbreviations are often not only permitted, but down right encouraged.

There really is a simple answer to this. Look at the other posts on the board. If people are using abbreviations, then go ahead and tdo the same. If not, then don't.

Don't forget the years of finger-pointing at us computer geeks for our TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms! :-) ). Use the appropriate language for the audience. Simple.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:07 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

imo, language should lean towards the proscriptive end of things. I'm with capo on this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo
Maybe I'm mistaken, but my guess is that a post written like that will be less effective in collecting useful replies than one where the author obviously took the time to try to communicate clearly. I tend to surf blogs sometimes when I get bored - when I run into one written in such a way that it almost needs a translator, I move on. Same thing with forum posts like the one you quoted. If I'd run into it in a forum instead of your editorial piece, I would have stopped reading about half way through.
If the originater can't take the time to type out a decent request, I can't take the time to translate it.

Language tends to flow; when it gets "hacked" as in the example in Jon Westfall's post, it loses that flow, making it difficult to comprehend.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:14 PM
posiedon7
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to posiedon7 Send a message via MSN to posiedon7
Default Blame the School Systems and Society

The School System Fault:

Having two daughters in High School and with many of my friends sharing the same thoughts, not enough emphasis is on actual education but rather on testing which in turn gives the school board a passing grade. I asked my daughter to name 3 famous British personas, as they are leaving for Europe for summer vacation, and she could not name one. When I asked her what they were teaching here in History, her response not anything about famous British people. She is in the gifted program and has straight A's. So I can just imagine what is covered in English/Grammar class. Her IM'ing skills impeccable. In comparison I struggled to get a C average in High School. I wish I was in that gifted program.

As for society:

For glamorizing and placing the highest degree of comparison on those that are famous for all the wrong reasons. Why would a young person in today�s society want to conform when the role models they look up to have no respect for anything else? "Respect" is now spelled "cred", which translates too how others view you by what you have done with yourself and I don�t mean in a positive and enriching manner.

Technology has definitely played a huge role in defining the next generation and if we are not careful, our future leaders will be reigning from their T-Mobile Sidekick 10's in a Cyber Cafe.

The Keep It Simple Stupid principle definately has an adverse application in this instance.

I hope I have not been to verbose on this matter. :!:

Old 06-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
Language tends to flow; when it gets "hacked" as in the example in Jon Westfall's post, it loses that flow, making it difficult to comprehend.
I agree completely, but then I still cringe when I hear the word "ain't" used, and it's been legitimized through its appearance in the language's major dictionaries. I wasn't going to mention this at first (because I don't want to start down another path), but ctmagnus, I think that things like efforts to legitimize Ebonics also hacks the English language.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: The Destruction Of The English Language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall
"please help me i realy want to buy the app if it works"

8O Now there was a time when writing like this would have been thought to be the work of an 8 year old, today however, it's common.
My 8 year old son would be offended if you attributed that mess to him.

I would never consider answering such a post. It is one thing to make some abbreviations via SMS with a limited input device, but the above is� I don't know what it is. It isn't laziness, anymore than wearing your pants 3 inches below your crack. It is just ridiculous.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:38 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator
Default Re: Blame the School Systems and Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by posiedon7
As for society:

For glamorizing and placing the highest degree of comparison on those that are famous for all the wrong reasons. Why would a young person in today�s society want to conform when the role models they look up to have no respect for anything else? "Respect" is now spelled "cred", which translates too how others view you by what you have done with yourself and I don�t mean in a positive and enriching manner.

You were doing so well. Now you are just sounding like your mother. And grandmother, and her grandmother ... Heck even the Greeks liked to complain about how the world was going to ruin because of the youth and their lack of respect for everything.

Every generation likes to put its stamp on the world, and chooses numerous ways to do so - be it language, music (oh the devil Elvis Presley!) or hideous architecture. But somehow the world muddles on, and pot-smoking students become bank managers, lawyers and politicians (but only if they don't inhale!).