Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default More on the Gigabyte g-Smart i120

http://www.sogi.com.tw/newsogi/sogi...asp?pro_no=2457

Adding to yesterday's brief overview of the Gigabyte g-Smart i120, here are some additional details.

The i120, like Gigabyte's other g-Smart devices, is a Pocket PC Phone Edition. It's a tri-band GSM (900/1800/1900) and GPRS device with 64MB RAM, 256MB ROM, 802.11g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.2, infrared, a 2.4" QVGA (240 x 320) 262K-colour TFT-LCD, a 2.1-megapixel camera, a TV and FM radio tuner, and Windows Mobile 5.0.

Without question, we're starting to see a trend toward more Pocket PC Phone Edition devices with built-in number pads. What do you think about them? Worth including, or better left to the Smartphones?

Update: More i120 eye-candy available here.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 AM
wouterk
Pupil

I'm in great favor of Phone Editions with number pads.
With my MDA II and now my K-Jam, I still got a greasy screen from calling using my fingers. Also it is hard to hit the software numbers when driving (I know it is not allowed... :wink: ).
My ideal PPC would be:
number pad, touch screen (I'm very fast with Fitaly) and a better battery.
I guess I've to keep on dreaming.... :mrgreen:
Wouter

Old 06-07-2006, 01:52 PM
xdev
Ponderer

people in asia dont really like thumb boards, they prefer keypads.....can text extremely fast with them. same in europe. whithout question the younger generation prefer it

thumb boards are mainly an american hit

Old 06-07-2006, 02:27 PM
alese
Philosopher

I don't care about keypad. I know some are very quick using it, but to me it's just stupid to try to memorize how many presses on the 3 is F...

I would much rather have some kind of thumbboard, for the rest I can use on screen buttons or hardvare navigation buttons...

Old 06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Robb Bates
Thinker

Oooooo, me like!!

That's a rather unconventional layout, but I think I like it!

There's something comforting in pressing real hardware buttons rather than virtual touch screen buttons. That's exactly the reason I bought the MX-500 remote rather than something like the Pronto.

It's so easy to txtmsg someone using T9 and a real keypad. Once you get good at it, you don't even have to look at the screen. Try THAT with a touchscreen!

Robb

Old 06-07-2006, 02:46 PM
phreaker18
Intellectual

well id like to say 2 things...

first they should include quad band GSM but i suppose since this device is specifically targeted towards the asian market they did away with it.

Secondly i really liked the concept of the numeric pad but i would rather have it a lil smaller and the LCD a bit bigger if u ask my honest opinion.. smaller keys for a numeric pad work well for smartphones and the same would also apply to these.

Darius bro is it true that they have 802.11g Wi-Fi?? they could have had Bluetooth 2.0 and do they have push email??

Old 06-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Bates
It's so easy to txtmsg someone using T9 and a real keypad. Once you get good at it, you don't even have to look at the screen. Try THAT with a touchscreen!
Yeah, I'm a T9 junkie, so I can certainly see the point you're making. I should mention, though, that the Fitaly input system is equally as fast - if not, faster. Of course, adaptation is the key.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaker18
Darius bro is it true that they have 802.11g Wi-Fi??
Of course it's true. I wouldn't make this stuff up now, would I? 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaker18
...and do they have push email??
Not sure, but if I find out, I'll let you know.

However, considering Gigabyte's past g-Smart devices have the MSFP, I'm pretty sure this one would too.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
phreaker18
Intellectual

thanks a lot Darius.... i think text entry using T9 is actually pretty fast if ur used to it.... makes a lot of sense...

Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

Numeric keypads on PPC Phone edition devices are a HUGE plus for me. There are times you just want to dial a phone number using a regular keypad. T9 benefits are in addition to that.

However, I disagree with most everyone else here that we HAVE to choose between a numeric keypad and QWERTY thumb board......we can have both (the thumb board slides out from behind as it already does on so many devices). The device just needs to be made.