Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado
Default Forever Waiting for a Firmware Update?

I just got off the phone with a technical service representative at UTStarcom/Audiovox this morning, wanting to know where the much-anticipated firmware update is for the Verizon Wireless' XV6700, and when it's going to be released. All of the other carrier-branded models of the PPC-6700, which includes Sprint, Alltel, Qwest, and even Cellular South, have already received their firmware update to bring them the Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) and are available on UTStarcom's website.

But, in my latest conversation with UTStarcom, I have been basically told that the engineers have been sitting on a completed Verizon-branded firmware update for some time now, and simply been waiting for Verizon Wireless to "bless" the image in order to release it publicly. To add further insult to injury, according to the engineers, the most recent timeframe for a response is 3rd quarter 2006. :evil: Honestly now - what in heaven's name is the hold up?! Verizon has been notorious in stalling nearly every Pocket PC Phone upgrade or fix, with the exception of their new flagship Pocket PC device, the Treo 700w. (Don't even get me started with the Samsung SPH-i700 upgrade to 2003 2nd Edition!)

The UTStarcom rep wouldn't budge nor let anyone but Verizon individuals speak to the engineers ("the engineers don't take calls"), so getting a hold of the firmware update is out of my hands at this point. Regardless of the fact that they disable features on their phones, I'm thinking of only a few possibilities why Verizon Wireless continues to fail the Windows Mobile community: 1. their technical staff is incompetent, underpowered, or inefficient, 2. their infrastructure is so top-heavy that it takes multitudes of processes and protocols to accomplish even the most simple tasks, and/or 3. the timing of the release is mandated or influenced by the scheduling of other devices for better market penetration (i.e. releasing the 700w and Q is first priority).

Whatever happened to the idea of users applying their own hotfixes and patches? Why can't the Windows Mobile OS be more universal, where device manufacturers simply apply their "device drivers" and software customizations after-the-fact? Windows Mobile 6 is yet on schedule - how many devices will yet again be left in the dust without an upgrade because their manufacturers will want to sell it with a "new" iteration of Pocket PCs? (My rant is slightly quelled - the Xbox 360 received a very nice Live update today.) Your thoughts, please, while I practice some much needed meditation...

Old 06-06-2006, 06:42 PM
signothefish
Intellectual

I share your frustration, as I have been a victim of "announced" upgrades that were significantly delayed or never came. It's not just Verizon... I have learned to ignore availability dates from any carrier or device manufacturer for firmware that may never even materialize.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

It's just another case of communication gone crazy. In this case, Verizon won't even discuss the issue with the user community. Instead, they will wield the power of "corporation", insisting that they know better and that we are simple peons that need to be told what to do, rather than suggest what the best course of action would be to the all knowing corporate gods.

Just another reason why I will not go back to Verizon - they boast that they have the best network (Which they don't), they cripple their devices (unforgiveable), and they treat their customers like dirt. The only positive thing I have to say is that their cancellation process is pretty painless, because, of course, they don't need you!

Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
amesskyway
Pupil

Does anyone know when T-Mo will release a firmware update for the MDA also?

Old 06-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Dude! Should've gotta imate...

Or anyother device not offered through a carrier.
I learned my lesson the hard way with cingular and my sx66. I had to get a new device because the firmware update that made the builtin mail client work with my work mail server never showed up. All of the other blueangels got it...

I will never own another carrier branded device again if possible. yuck.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:30 PM
AnonTelecom
Neophyte
Default Re: Forever Waiting for a Firmware Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael Salgado
Regardless of the fact that they disable features on their phones, I'm thinking of only a few possibilities why Verizon Wireless continues to fail the Windows Mobile community: 1. their technical staff is incompetent, underpowered, or inefficient, 2. their infrastructure is so top-heavy that it takes multitudes of processes and protocols to accomplish even the most simple tasks, and/or 3. the timing of the release is mandated or influenced by the scheduling of other devices for better market penetration (i.e. releasing the 700w and Q is first priority).
While clearly the entire cellular industry leaves much to be desired in terms of quality, I have to say that Verizon continues to take the lead just how poorly they support their customers. I have relationship responsibility with each of the major carriers for all US cellphone users of a large multi-national company and would have to agree your assessments of Verizon's shortcomings.

My favorite response from them was an inquiry as to their poor support for Bluetooth. I was told by our technical account manager that they disabled features due to enterprise customer concerns about Bluetooth security issues. (Of course the fact that they get paid every time a user transfer a photo of the device using their for-fee MMS services didn't impact the decision at all! ;-) ) Unfortunately, this wasn't really a surprise. I once asked the VZW CTO during QA at a mobility conference about their premium pricing, particularly for data. He replied that they were confident that their network was worth the extra $$$ and they had no plans to adjust their pricing. This attitude was reinforced when, during recent pricing negotiations, a Sr VP compared themselves to BMW and the other carriers to Hyundai.

As far as their internal systems and personnel, I'm not surprised they are taking so long to release firmware. Our interactions with them are filled with finger-pointing, passing the buck, and inter-departmental arguments. I find their latest round of commercials amusing. You know, the ones with the massive crowd standing behind the Verizon Wireless user. It's sort of like a "how many Verizon Wireless employees does it take to make a phone call" joke.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:08 PM
sdattilo
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to sdattilo Send a message via MSN to sdattilo

Ahhhh, The joys of unlocked GSM. Again another reason why I too will never buy a branded phone version. I have been a PPC buying madman like yourself, Followed your blog on the k-jam till it died when you went to the universal. I then bowed from the k-jam to the m600. I then thought about Verizion for the speed of the network, but just then you went that way. Somehow I managed the patience (and lack of cash) to see how it went... I am very happy now to have stayed unlocked in the gsm sim card world. I am back with a JAMin and just waiting for what will be next...

Sorry to hear about the pain... I feel for you..... Now how long will it really be till you bite the bullet and bail on the verizion contract, pay the penalty, and get back to unlocked bliss... What is that feature you are waiting for to get from Cingular or T-Mo?

Good luck!
Gadget Crazy...****50" Panny Plasma, Treo 750, HD Tivo - Hacked, Canon 30D, Epson P-3000, Garmin GPS, Anthem D-50, Legacy SigIII's, MacBookPro,* (no HD/BluRay DVD yet...)So many toys so little time....

Old 06-06-2006, 09:12 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

Jeesh -- maybe I better hold off on migrating to the 6700.

I see that Alltell has this device too -- can anyone comment on Alltell's support and customer service?

Old 06-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Underwater Mike
Thinker

This is why I stuck with Cingular and got an 8125, depite some spotty coverage in my area. Verizon's occasional network superiority doesn't mean a thing if you can't get help when you need it. Cingular's a long way from perfect, too, but nothing is as bad as Verizon.

(Of course, I shoudl heed my own advice: I'll probably have many tales of woe to share when my FIOS line gets installed at home later this month!)

Old 06-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Mike
This is why I stuck with Cingular and got an 8125, depite some spotty coverage in my area. Verizon's occasional network superiority doesn't mean a thing if you can't get help when you need it. Cingular's a long way from perfect, too, but nothing is as bad as Verizon.
See, I take the completely opposite position. All the support in the world is useless if you get no coverage. Verizon has the coverage and the service, and so I pay. :|

--janak