Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC Released

http://www.opera.com/products/mobil...s/winmobileppc/

"With Opera on your Pocket PC, you can surf the same Web sites as you do on your personal computer. The Opera 8.60 mobile Web browser for Windows Mobile is designed with speed and ease-of-use in mind."

Opera for Pocket PC: it's out of beta and available for all to try and buy. This browser is blazingly fast and supports a number of neat features such as small-screen rendering, tabbed browsing, zoom support, a download manager, a pop-up blocker, and much more. It's available for devices running Windows Mobile 2003 (both editions) and Windows Mobile 5.0. You can download a free trial from here, which lasts for 30 days. If you like it, it will set you back US$24.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Any sign of Flash support?

Old 05-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Lost Cause
Pupil

My what a huge disappointment ! What's the point of putting out Betas if they only correct half the bugs ?

I have an X50v running WM2003SE. I'm running it in hi-res VGA mode.

I've just downloaded the latest demo, and after a mere 20mins of playing here's what I've found so far:

Pros
The Courier fonts have gone.
Zoom now works properly.
Double space problem gone on keyboard.
Keyboard comes up correctly in context now.
Javascript (edited - previously read Java) pages seem to work fine.

Cons
The progress bar still covers the horizontal scroll bar.
I find the progress bar annoying, and can't see a means to turn it off.
My D-Pad won't scroll me vertically in the same manner as PIE. Instead, it operates as per the Betas and tabs you between various screen elements.
The highlight problem is still there i.e. links won't work if you've accidentally managed to highlight another link. So you have to click a blank bit of screen to de-select, then hit the link.
Flash still doesn't work.
On long pages, the information stays all corrupted at the end.

Frustrated is just not the word. This was all looking so promising. Why ignore half the bad stuff after all this time ?????????

Old 05-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

Nope. no Flash. I've the latest Macromedia Flash plugin for Pocket IE installed and it works well in PIE, but Flash-based pages show nothing in this Opera.

It doesn't import Favorites either, which is the deal breaker for me. With over 800 links in my bookmark collection, having access to none of them in Opera feels like my hands are tied.

For speed, it is impressive. I installed to an SD card on my WM2003SE e800, tried a few image-rich pages, and saw them load much faster than either PIE or Netfront 3.3.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:24 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard
Nope. no Flash. I've the latest Macromedia Flash plugin for Pocket IE installed and it works well in PIE, but Flash-based pages show nothing in this Opera.
Ah but I would not expect that version of the Flash player to work, since it is an ActiveX control and won't work in non-IE browsers. Anyone tried using the Plugin version of the Flash Player?

Old 05-31-2006, 08:29 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause
Java pages seem to work fine.
Opera includes a Java VM? (Or do you mean JavaScript?)

Old 05-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Lost Cause
Pupil

I meant Javascript.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:14 AM
snorbard
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to snorbard Send a message via AIM to snorbard Send a message via MSN to snorbard Send a message via Yahoo to snorbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard
It doesn't import Favorites either, which is the deal breaker for me. With over 800 links in my bookmark collection, having access to none of them in Opera feels like my hands are tied.
I haven't tried this myself, but since Opera for Windows and Opera for Windows Mobile use the same file for storing bookmarks, I'm sure you could get a utility to convert your bookmars into an Opera-compatible format, and just copy that file (Opera6.adr, I believe) over to Opera Mobile's Profiles directory..

Old 06-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to Patrick Y.

I wonder if there will ever be a free version...

Old 06-01-2006, 01:25 AM
RobrechtV
Pupil

Ugh! I'm usually one to focus on the positive things, but this program is just plain bad!

My first 2 minutes' experience: it can't render www.somethingawful.com correctly in any of the display settings (the right column always goes straight over the central text), it's barely customisable, and it doesn't even get google right! Not by a long shot! Unless they recently changed the site's name to
GOO
G
LE
G
:evil:

This thing has been worked on for so long and none of the developers ever noticed it got google wrong?? What a disappointment after a promising beta. I don't care how sophisticated it is internally: it takes up 6MB and doesn't do its job.

Until these guys get their act together, MultiIE remains one of the reasons I'm not upgrading my Blue Angel to WM5.