Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 05-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Menneisyys's Tweaks to "Fix" the iPAQ hx4700 WM5 Upgrade

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/in...1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

"Thanks to Hal Goldstein at the Smartphone & Pocket PC magazine, I�ve become a proud owner of an HP iPAQ hx4700...Of course, the first thing I�ve done after receiving the device was installing the WM5 upgrade. My first impression of the upgrade was awful. After installing a handful of applications and games, it became really-really slow, irresponsible and consumed a lot of battery power...."

Many users have complained about extreme slowness after upgrading their hx4700 to WM5. The good news is that PPCT member Menneisyys has just obtained a new hx4700 and set to work on fixing its performance... and that he's found the main causes of the slowness and has simple tips on how to fix it! (The bad news is that most of the slowness seems to stem from at least one extremely simple bug -- in the touchpad driver -- one that you'd expect HP to have found in the first place. :roll If you're an hx4700 user poking along with WM5, this article is a must-read.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:08 PM
sapibobo
Pupil

I red the article yesterday and I tried the games-folder trick. It works. Please be notice that I applied another trick also (cache, temp folder in SD, etc) so the increasing speed may not as large as the one who tried this trick first.

I tried the filesys patch and put it in Start Up folder. But somehow the HX is slower. I delete the file and HX is speedy again.

Another masterpiece from him. Congratulations. This is one of the best trick I ever have.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:52 PM
asims
Intellectual

Can these hacks work on a WM5-native pda like the hx2495? Or are they just for the hx4700 or other pdas that upgraded to WM5?

Old 05-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by asims
Can these hacks work on a WM5-native pda like the hx2495? Or are they just for the hx4700 or other pdas that upgraded to WM5?
I'm pretty sure WM5 native devices do not need, and cannot benefit from, these hacks. The first one is specific to a hx4700 touchpad driver; the second is the filesys.exe process, which is apparently needed on upgraded units but not units that shipped with WM5 out-of-the-box.

--janak

Old 05-22-2006, 06:43 PM
hang5lngbd
Pupil

So does this hack make WM5 usable on my hx4700 again? I "upgraded" my device back to 2003SE after "downgrading" to WM5. Is it time to try WM5 again?

Old 05-22-2006, 06:49 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

Yes, another good article. I have to point that according to MS, changing or deleting the Compaction registry keys does not do anything or fix anything at all.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapibobo
I red the article yesterday and I tried the games-folder trick. It works. Please be notice that I applied another trick also (cache, temp folder in SD, etc) so the increasing speed may not as large as the one who tried this trick first.

I tried the filesys patch and put it in Start Up folder. But somehow the HX is slower. I delete the file and HX is speedy again.
Are you sure? In my CPU usage tests, the filesys throttler has not caused any slowdown.

Did anyone else experience slowdowns with the throttler?

Quote:
Another masterpiece from him. Congratulations. This is one of the best trick I ever have.
Thanks

BTW, I've just updated the article with the latest developments (the "Games" hack has been further simplified into an even easier registry hack) and links back to additional user feedback, also here at PPCT.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang5lngbd
So does this hack make WM5 usable on my hx4700 again? I "upgraded" my device back to 2003SE after "downgrading" to WM5. Is it time to try WM5 again?
Yes, WM5 is pretty usable. Of course, you'll still have some problems with filesys.exe and the limited compatibility of games (other WM5 devices like the Dell Axim x51v and the HTC Wizard are far more compatible with games - a lot of titles don't even start on the WM5 hx4700). This is topped by the CF bug, which will be a major pain in the back if you permanently have (and use) a CF card in your PDA.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Sully
Pupil

Amazing speed improvement. Thanks so much.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:38 AM
ctitanic
Oracle

Tweaks2K2 v3.22 released including this hack mentioned by Menneisyys that causes slowness in hx4700 machines updated with WM5.