Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Hollywood to Slingbox: Our Lawyers are Waiting

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...60427-6691.html

"Hollywood is not happy about the SlingBox, and that displeasure is becoming increasingly visible. The SlingBox is a device that "place-shifts" your television programming by streaming it across the Internet for remote viewing on a laptop or portable device, but the ability to watch your TV anywhere in the world is making some broadcasters nervous. HBO's Bob Zitter was the latest in a long line of television executives to make ominous rumbling noises about the legality of the new technology. No one has yet come out of the litigation closet to announce plans to sue the new company, but plenty of people are willing to question Sling's business model. Is this just FUD on the part of content owners, or does it have some basis in law? Sling, after all, has claimed repeatedly that it believes its system to be legal because it simply allows a consumer to watch their existing television channels on the road. A SlingBox does not broadcast to multiple users, and it does not record or archive video for later use."

Come on, Hollywood - there's always a reason to bring in the lawyers, isn't there? :roll: Less of the FUD, and more on the bigger picture: Slingbox is out there to help consumers enjoy more of your media whenever and wherever.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

wow, this sounds really cool.

Please feel free to insert lawyer jokes here.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
ADBrown
Pontificator

Oh for f--ks sake. Two words: Betamax decision. Any technology which has a substantial noninfringing use is legal. As far as Slingbox goes, I can't see how you would have an infringing use, period. Any statements to the contrary are nothing but bulls--t.

The studios just hate the fact that new technology means they lose control of the way people use entertainment. If they had their way, they would outlaw Slingbox, DVRs, the mute button, and going to the bathroom during a commercial. They just want legal protection for their old business model instead of accepting the future.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:50 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

There are thousands of infringing uses of the SlingBox! I mean of course there is...um, well how about....no. Then there is ...ok so maybe not right now but I'm sure some hacker will come up and find some way for himself and at least one other person to do something illegal with it. I'm just sure of it!

Old 05-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Tye
Intellectual

Speaking only for myself, this is ironic because I actually watch more of their content (the networks) than before I had a Slingbox. This is within Austin, so they're not missing any target audience with me.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:34 AM
buss
Ponderer

Like most eveything else these knuckleheads are assuming the worst when there is so much that can be done with this technology.

I am the GM for a cable television company and have purchased 15 of these units. They are positioned at key points along our distribution system so we can monitor the quality of the service 24/7 without a truck roll and improve the quality of the service to the customers. Which by the way are the same people that are putting money into Hollywood's pocket with the monthly service fees.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:41 AM
cardiacflash
Neophyte

This is killing me to even think that its possible for them to consider such a move. I can tell you that this is a great device and I have been enjoying the hell out of it. As a matter of fact I am on the road and the hotel I'm in doesn't get the SciFi channel. So I watch it on my PC. Can't live without the SciFi channel. Come on Hollywood, give me a break.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:21 AM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Typical Hollywood, Upset they didn't think of it first and figure out a way to charge for a new way to view content. Instead they give us 2 dollar downloads from apple! :roll:

Old 05-03-2006, 06:24 AM
heatlesssun
Neophyte

I use Orb myself, since I have a Windows Media Center system, and the setup is just fantatic. Got my Pocket PC Phone and data plan just so that I could stream media and once again, Hollywood is trying to stiffle true innovation.

Right now, as ADBrown said, precedent is against them as streaming ones one content is perfectly leagl. What Hollowwood is watching for are "IP TV" staions poping up, slinging content to anyone, which is what they are probably hoping what happens so they can sue away.

It's time for consumers to start standing up. Big corporations are getting out of control. Its all of us little people that are making these top execs filthy rich, which is fine by me, but I am sick and tired of them trying to kill innovation to pad their wallets.

We need to start boycotting these companies, en mass, when they start pullling these manuvers.

I WILL disconnect my cable TV if they pull any crap with this. We all need to be in the same position. Hell, we all need to read more anyway.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 AM
encece
Mystic
Send a message via MSN to encece Send a message via Skype™ to encece

I cant boycott HBO until the Sopranos and Entourage seasons are over. Then I'm BOYCOTTING!