Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default ActiveSync 4.2 Public Beta

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync42.mspx

"ActiveSync 4.2 Beta Preview is an early look at the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile devices. Microsoft ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows powered PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box. ActiveSync acts as the gateway between your Windows powered PC and Windows Mobile powered device, enabling the transfer of Outlook information, Office documents, pictures, music, videos and applications from your desktop to your device. In addition to synchronizing with a desktop PC, ActiveSync can synchronize directly with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 so that you can keep your e-mail, Calendar, Notes, and Contacts updated wirelessly when you�re away from your PC.*"

Well, this is a first, and a good step too. Microsoft is offering to publicly beta ActiveSync 4.2. I haven't installed it myself but I understand it does fix a number of issues you may be experiencing with 4.1. I strongly recommend you don't install this unless you have a Windows Mobile 5 device. Overall, ActiveSync 4.x is geared towards WM5. While it supports WM2003 devices, it doesn't do anything for them that is new, and disables your ability to sync via a network connection, like WiFi.

For those of you with a WM5 device though and the courage to run a beta app, download and have fun!

Old 04-27-2006, 05:23 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Well, I get errors every time I sync my Smartphone and Pocket PC... so I went ahead and installed it.

I didn't do the "required" restart after the install, but it appears that the new version is working now. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same error when I just tried syncing my Smartphone.

"The server is busy. Support Code:85010017"

Worth a shot, anyway. Guess it's back to my minitue-and-half long workaround. :|

Old 04-27-2006, 06:03 AM
cameron
Ponderer

I don't know what else this update is supposed to accomplish, but it solved the 85010014 problem that I was having tonight.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:55 AM
andbrown
Pupil

Quote:
I didn't do the "required" restart after the install...
This is actually extremely important with upgrading ActiveSync - it's a key troubleshooting step. Not saying it will fix your specific issue, but in general, it's very important to do the restart after updating to a newer version.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

I don't get it. Why don't they tell people what this update supposedly fixes?

I just don't get it.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:29 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andbrown
Quote:
I didn't do the "required" restart after the install...
This is actually extremely important with upgrading ActiveSync - it's a key troubleshooting step. Not saying it will fix your specific issue, but in general, it's very important to do the restart after updating to a newer version.
Ah, good to know. I'll try again after the restart. I just try to avoid restarts unless absolutely necessary, since it takes awhile to reboot and get things up and running again. (Incidentally, this is why I hate the mandatory/forced reboots in the WinXP application version of Windows Update.)

Old 04-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Hmmmm... Okay, well, it seems that it does fix the vague "Activesync Encountered an Error on the Desktop" problem... Nice!

Old 04-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Darren Behan
Intellectual

I agree with Vincent in wanting to know what they were trying to fix and/or add to this release. A quick google on ActiveSync 4.2 Beta yielded zip so far.

db

Old 04-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
I just try to avoid restarts unless absolutely necessary...
If software tells you to reboot, it means it needs to replace system files that are in use. So if it says to reboot, I think it's necessary. ;-)

Old 04-27-2006, 01:52 PM
PDANEWBIE
Thinker

Quote:
Incidentally, this is why I hate the mandatory/forced reboots in the WinXP application version of Windows Update.
Here here this is why I download the KB's seperately and install them manually then you can choose not to reboot.

What I have a question about is does activesync actually give your cradled device an IP address on your network that is different from your PC's? I have someone who is having activesync problems and is blaming it on firewall permissions but I thought activesync was JUST a passthrough from the PC to the PocketPC?