Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Where Do You Get Your Email From?

I've been involved in some conversations about email on Pocket PCs lately, and I was curious about how the readers here do email on their Pocket PCs. I'm asking specifically about direct email access, so if the only way you do email is when you cradle and Activesync with Outlook, select the last option.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

I do "all the above" but mostly from a Hosted Exchange Server.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

I answered with #1, but it really I use multiple... primarily #1 and #3 combined. I connect to an Exchange Server that I use for work that I happen to also own the domain and run myself.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

I do all of the above. My ISP is my work so...

For work email i use direct push from the exchange server.

I have my own domain with 4 different email addresses for different reasons. One is just the admin address which i do not use. one is personal for friends, one is public for places like this, and one is an internet name for anonymous online use. Those are all pop3.

I also have hotmail, yahoo, and gmail. I do not check yahoo on my device most of the time. if i need to i use the web interface. Hotmail i use the builtin mail client. I have 2 gmail accounts, one with my normal name and one with the afor mentioned internet name. I only have the normal name setup in messaging as there is the stupid 8 account limit... :evil: Also my domain admin account is not setup in messaging for the same reason.

So in messaging i have 3 email accounts from my domain, work throuh direct push, primary gmail account, and hotmail, plus the sms, mms and the like.

I also have nPop setup to check all of these email accounts as a backup or to check the ones that are not setup in messaging.
nPop is configured to check all 4 of my domain email accounts, both of my gmail accounts, and my work address.

The hotmail, gmail, and yahoo accounts are mostly used only to access services provided by those people. Blogger, google talk (and everyother google service now), windows messenger, and the yahoo services (which i really don't use but i keep the account around just incase).

I have many other email addresses just because i have signed up for almost every free email service at one time or another just to test it but i have let all of those expire (if they do such a thing) or i just do not check them (or remember how in most cases lol).

I had thought about just using email aliases but i like to keep my email seperate so that i can only check the account that i am in the mood to check. Plus sending email as these multiple personas is easier with seperate accounts as many email clients don't support profiles so you can send email as if you were someone else.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:46 PM
skjohn8
Pupil

You folks here put me on to 4smartphone - and I've been hooked ever since!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:53 PM
PhilH
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjohn8
You folks here put me on to 4smartphone - and I've been hooked ever since!
Me too!

Old 04-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Zidane
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Zidane

I set up my own Exchange server a month or two back and it works quite nicely. I especially like that I have full control over it, so I can create email accounts for both me and my wife (and anyone else who's interested).

Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Rod3
Intellectual

I don't do it at all. I do surf a little and check yahoo mail on my Treo, but it's a royal pain to get my POP3 mail on it, and I'd just rather not. I do sometimes use yahoo mail on mine to send messages if they are urgent.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:05 PM
applejosh
Philosopher

I picked the first one, but really it's from all (using Flexmail).

Old 04-19-2006, 10:09 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejosh
I picked the first one, but really it's from all (using Flexmail).
I love the idea of FlexMail as I miss reading/writing rich text as I do on Outlook on the desktop. It is key to communications that I can't get with Outlook Mobile... but my email is delivered via Server Activesync to our Exchange Server. If Microsoft or through a third party solution can provide a rich email experience with server sync/push to our Exchange Server, than I would be much happier.