Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 04-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default The Battle For Mobile OS Domination Is Over

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/16834.php

"Many people believe that the future battle on the mobile market will be between the mobile operating systems. Especially Microsoft and Symbian are competing to become the future operating system (OS) on the mobile market, but also PalmSource, Linux based OSs and Java based OSs are trying to win market shares. One of the reasons why the competition is so fierce on the OS market is that many in the business have a naive belief that the winner will take it all and the loser will get nothing - just as has happened in the PC world."

The article goes on to explain why the battle between mobile operating systems is over, not because there is a clear winner, but because that isn't where the real battle is, nor will that skirmish have a winner as the desktop PC market had. Instead, the true battle is going to be between three different models:

� UIs that contains APIs (Windows Mobile would go here.)
� UIs that run on a VM (Virtual machine)
� Simple UIs without APIs

Old 04-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Eugenia
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Eugenia Send a message via AIM to Eugenia Send a message via MSN to Eugenia Send a message via Yahoo to Eugenia Send a message via Skype™ to Eugenia

You forgot the link to the actual article.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Thanks - I've put the (hopefully the right) link.

--janak