Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 04-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado
Default Ars Technica: Verizon Threatens Heavy EV-DO Users With Higher Prices

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...60407-6548.html

"A lot of us have a hard time living without broadband, even when we're on the go. That's why Pocket PCs and other mobile devices with built-in 3G capability (like Verizon's EVDO BroadbandAccess) have been selling well. Another popular 3G use is EV-DO cards for laptops. Surfing via EV-DO can leave dial-up in the dust or be like using DSL's little brother who rides the short yellow bus, depending on the conditions. BroadbandAccess' increased usage is starting to raise warning flags for Verizon Wireless, which is threatening to implement a tiered pricing structure to punish the service's heaviest users of bandwidth. Verizon would prefer its customers limit their BroadbandAccess usage to checking e-mail and non-bandwidth-intensive web browsing."

This is a very interesting article that will really set off a lot of people who are already paying for Verizon's already-pricey unlimited EVDO data service. If companies continue to use the word "unlimited," they should be prepared to be taken up on the offer. That last sentence regarding email and non-intensive (read: WAP, yuck) web browsing really makes me chuckle. I can understand that bandwidth for airwaves could be more precious than wired connections, but if people are already signed up into their contract and then attempt to get extorted, you can just imagine the attorneys lining up for a class action lawsuit. Your thoughts?

Old 04-12-2006, 06:24 PM
tmmburke
Neophyte
Default Unlimited hastle

I have VZ Broadband service unlimited and I can tell you htat if they start tiering their service based on usage (unlimited - what does that mean), I will immediately cancel my service and go with Cingular 3G service. I hear its pretty fast and available in the major markets. What I don't understand is Verizon Wireless offering their Vcast service for $15 a month which uses theri EVDO network and uses a lot more bandwidth for tose videos than any Laptop user. Mixed messages...

Old 04-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

I hope they get the pants sued off them if they try it. :devilboy:

Old 04-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

False advertising is all I can say. Unlimited Broadband Access is what they say they sell. Any use of the word Unlimited means exactly that.

But as to a class action suit. The last time I got involved in one was during the Jornanda 520 debacle. I sent my device back to HP and never saw a penny or even recieved acknowledgement that they ever received it. Lawyers make money on those things regardless of the outcome. The people actually affected receive little or nothing sometimes.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:03 PM
apeguero
Intellectual

This is why when you were talking about switching your service provider a while back because of the new Pocket PC phones out there I tried suggesting Sprint to you. I had a choice between Verizon and Sprint. I originally wanted the Palm 700w - mainly because I had a 650 at the time so I was going to be able to use most of my accessories for it (case, stylus and whatnot). But, 700w is a Verizon only phone. That company only cares about their bottom line and could give a fat rat's ass about their customers. Not to say Sprint would be any better but so far I've been able to surf anytime for as long as I want and tether with no problems for $15.00 minus my 15% military discount. Verizon couldn't even come close to that.

Also, isn't Verizon trying to charge Google and the others more money for their bandwidth? The whole Net Equality stuff that was flying around a couple of weeks ago? Sorry guys, Verizon is just another Evil Empire company out to stiff us out of our money. I too hope they get sued back to the stone age for this!

Old 04-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Silver5
Intellectual

This is why I am not a Verizon customer. They do have good service (not as good as they advertise, but pretty damn good nevertheless) but they nickel and dime after already charging an arm and a leg. Enough with the cliches though...

They charge $45 per month for UNLIMITED data access from a PDA phone. It shouldn't matter what Verizon prefers its customers use the service for. If they say "unlimited" data access then it is just that. If "unlimited" means limited then they just need to say it up front.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:46 PM
CoreyJF
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to CoreyJF

I am not a network expert but how would Verizon know if I am downloading large attachments such as database files or streaming through Orb. I would think they would have to take a pretty close look at the packets to figure that information out. It would seem to me that if they do go that route, not only would they face issues with the way they marketed �unlimited�, this could quickly morph into some major privacy concerns.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:49 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Don't you know? VZW's data networks are like a museum. It looks pretty, but you are only allowed to look, not touch.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:21 PM
efjay
Theorist

High prices, limited device choice and possible increased running costs. I am actually surprised anyone would use Verizon. $45 is comparable to some home broadband prices, not worth it in my book. But i dont think lawsuits are the answer, rather more competition from other carriers. Once the consumer has more attractive options Verizon will have to rethink their pricing strategies or lose market share. Roll on Cingular and T-Mobile's high speed service, I say.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

I dumped Verizon a while back. I don't miss them either. :lol: