Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 04-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Has Your Windows Mobile 5 Device Ever Spontaneously Hard Reset?

I was just wondering if anyone here has had their WM5 device just spontaneously hard reset, wiping all data from the device. The reason I ask is I am not sure if it is even possible. I know that with Pocket PC 2000, 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003/SE, it is possible for the device to get wigged out and lose power to RAM, which on those devices, will cause data loss. However, with WM5, other than what little bit hasn't been committed to the flash ROM, I think the data has to be intentionally erased.

Right or wrong, I think Windows Mobile 5's ROM based model not only helps protect against drained batteries, but against these hard resets. However, I wanted to see if this was justified.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:43 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

there are two people that have voted yes, but I'm not sure if they understood what you were asking. I thought that what you are saying is not possible in WM5 at all.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

My Ipaq 2215 did it once.

My Axim X5 did it once.

Mind you I had those two handhelds a combined 3 years. Since moving to WM5, I have yet to have it happen one time. AWESOME.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:34 PM
DarkHelmet
Ponderer

The Dell Axim x50v people who upgraded their Axims to WM5 have reported this kind of problem repeatedly.

I don't think there's any misunderstanding about the question.

The bottom line for Axim x50v owners is that if they "upgrade" to WM5 - they had better not use both slots with memory cards and they better have extended batteries because using a "normal" capacity battery and memory cards increase the chance that the Axim will whitescreen, quickly deep discharge the battery, or result in other inexplicable HARD - HARD - HARD spontaneous resets.

BLECH! Pitoouey!

Come on Dell - fix it!

Old 04-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

I voted 'No', although there was one time I observed a "medium reset" problem with the Windows Mobile 5.0-upgraded X50v.

By medium reset, I'm referring to a complete wipe of registry settings, while all other data still remains intact. It's nothing but an annoyance.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Ir0nman
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to Ir0nman

My x50v upgraded spontaneously hard reset twice on me, since then I have reverted back to 2003. The unit was on my desk overnight and when I powered it up in the morning, I had lost everything and it had done a hard reset, so it is happeneing... I just couldn't figure out why
-Ir0nman

Old 04-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Hx4700
Intellectual

Well maybe not exactly spontaneously -- I was doing Soft resets as I was rebuilding my programs into memory after upgrading to WM2005 on my Hx4700.
So after a very slow response to soft resets I got a Hard reset. And all my programs I had loaded in persistant storage were gone -- nothing left.

So no more HP-Backup program with WM2005.
No backup with ActiveStink 4.1
No Sprite backup - won't work yet with HP protect.

So we're doomed! Doomed I say! All doomed! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Old 04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
buzzard
Theorist

I did two clean resets on my 4700. The first was to start all over again by loading all programs and tweaks a second time because I didn't like the way Wm5 was working with my first install. It improved "slightly". The second clean reset was so I could dump Wm5 and go back to 2003SE. If HP/MS ever get their collective act's together and fix this Wm5 pig that was offered for the 4700, I may give Wm5 another try.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Peter Traugot
Ponderer

Buzzard:

I would be shocked and amazed if HP were to do ANYTHING more for the 4700. I think the fact that they actually released WM5 for the 4700 was a pitty move because they had already made the initial investment under the previous administration.

It is clear that moving forward, the 4700 will suffer the same fate as all their other "stand-alone" WM/PPC devices.

The new direction is clear; integrated devices.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:39 PM
keirmeister
Pupil

My first assumption about these results so far is that those who have had a spontaneous hard reset in WM5 were using devices originally made for 2003/SE and were upgraded to WM5.

Is this indeed the case?