Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado
Default MobileBlog.It Gets Hands-On Time With the Axia A308

http://www.mobileblog.it/post/1656/...e-immagini-live

Drool all you want, folks. :drool: The much-anticipated Axia A308 Pocket PC Phone with the smallest reported touchscreen at 2.2" gives a little playtime to the lucky Italian folk at MobileBlog.it.

With its imminent release by multiple carriers and distributors in Asia and Europe, it's sure to bridge the gap between Smartphones and Pocket PCs. The Axia A308 is no slouch either, with its Intel PXA272 416MHz CPU, 1.3MP camera, 1500mAh battery, Bluetooth 1.2, 802.11b Wi-Fi (with integrated VoIP software shown above), and quadband GSM with EDGE, which will be a big plus for North American carriers such as Cingular and T-Mobile. All we need is a US distributor or reseller... Many pictures on the blog, including a comparison against some earlier Nokia and Sony Ericcson phones will show you how small this bad boy is.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:11 PM
stevelam
Thinker

Doh! On the RSS feed it looked like

MobileBlog.It Gets Hands-On Time With the Axi

And is thought it said Axim. I was thinking new Dell, YES!!!

Old 03-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Hmm. It's certainly nice, but a little long for my tastes. Maybe I'm just used to a square screened life.

--janak

Old 03-31-2006, 05:53 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Hmm. It's certainly nice, but a little long for my tastes. Maybe I'm just used to a square screened life.

--janak
Does seem a bit l-o-n-g doesn't it?

Old 03-31-2006, 05:55 PM
dstrauss
Intellectual
Default Size Comapred to Cingular 2125

Any idea of size comparison to units like the Cingular 2125 or 5M class devices. I really like that size, especially over the 8125 I have now, but I HATE T9. If I could just scratch out replies on the screen, it would handle my usual email need in a REAl phone with a REAL dialpad.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:04 PM
dstrauss
Intellectual
Default Apologize for Answering Own Question

Here's a site I found for the phone:

http://www.myaxia.com/a308.htm

Other than slightly (1-2mm) wider, it's the same specs as my Cingular 2125 but adds touch screen and WiFi. This may just be the ticket.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

I thought I was looking at a new, funky Harmony Remote for a second there. 8O

Old 03-31-2006, 07:09 PM
surur
Mystic
Default Re: Apologize for Answering Own Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrauss
Here's a site I found for the phone:

http://www.myaxia.com/a308.htm

Other than slightly (1-2mm) wider, it's the same specs as my Cingular 2125 but adds touch screen and WiFi. This may just be the ticket.
I did not quite believe you, so I decided to 'shop them together. It is actually comparable in size (but possible due to the hump on the 2125).

Amazing!

Surur

Old 03-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Whoa. 8O No freaking kidding. That would imply that the model's hand is really small. Wow. :drool:

--janak

Old 03-31-2006, 09:34 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Wow! This would certainly overcome the one shortcoming I have with the 2125 - no touch screen. I could see using this as my everyday phone. Too bad it lacks 3G for data access, though. Still not quite perfect, but close.

I have to wonder though if the screen would be hard on the eyes after a while. The 2125 doesn't have this problem, but the Smartphone OS is built to run on a smaller screen so it has larger screen elements by design.