Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado
Default Verizon Wireless' Unlimited Data Plan "Includes" Text Messaging

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ad.php?t=819843

When I finally made my switch-over to Verizon Wireless and picked up a UTStarcom XV6700, I knew that this Windows Mobile device did not yet have AKU2 for Direct Email Push via HTTP. After a few days with my hosted Exchange service, 4Smartphone.net, I noticed that I was getting charged for every text message (SMS) they were sending down to my device in order to synchronize with the server. Apparently, I wasn't alone with this issue, since Heath Stewart posted his experience on his blog, along with his ongoing problems with the Treo 700w. Panicking, I turned off the text messaging feature on 4Smartphone.net, until I found this thread on HowardForums that discusses an add-on feature that wasn't made obvious to me when I signed up a little while back and was sold on an additional $15 text messaging plan. :evil:

By calling Verizon Wireless Data Support at 866-788-9387 and nicely requesting "PDA SMS 2000 ALLOWANCE, code 70246" to be added to the Unlimited Data Plan, I was able to resolve my dilemma in one phone call. The thread goes on to say that people have surpassed the 2,000 message limit, used it for inbound and outbound messaging, and even used picture messaging (MMS) without incurring any additional charges. So, I say "use it - don't abuse it" and you should be just fine. Why an unlimited data plan doesn't offer something as simple as text messaging is beyond me, but then again, that's probably Verizon Wireless' purported "revenue leak" prevention at hand. It's been reported that some reps will even argue that the feature doesn't exist, and that it took multiple calls to get it onto their account. :roll:

Again, this is probably another feature originally given to resolve the corporate issues of using Microsoft Exchange and SMS over Verizon Wireless' network. I never used their "Wireless Sync" feature either, since I felt it was just another thing to have to deal with. But, it's good to know that there are still some knowledgable individuals that can bring us insider tips like this. If you are a Verizon Wireless customer with a PDA Phone, have you made the call yet?

Old 03-28-2006, 02:35 AM
r@dimus
Ponderer

It's nonsense like this that is the reason we cancelled the phone plan my wife had with Verizon a few years back. I see that very little has changed.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:44 AM
EnsignRam
Pupil
Default It worked for me!

Raph,

When I read your post I thought, "wow you must have read my mind". I was just forced to switch from Cingular to VZW because my new job has an affilation with Verizon and wouldn't pay my cell phone bill unless I switched.

I got the unlimited data plan and was upset find out that it did not include text messaging. VZW even goes as far to charge you for incoming text messages. I can save minutes by not answering a call but I can't stop someone from sending me a text message!

I did as your post said and within 2 minutes I had the feature added to my plan no questions asked.

Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I have the XV6600.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:48 AM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

I'm glad it worked out for you as well.

Just another tip regarding this feature: before Verizon Wireless decides to roll out AKU2 firmware upgrades to devices such as the XV6700 and the Treo 700w, you better try to get this feature added onto your account now. I wouldn't hold it past Verizon Wireless to prevent this feature from being added to your account with devices that no longer use SMS to initiate ActiveSync to your Exchange server. As of now, if a VzW rep happens to ask you why you need this feature, having the unit require an SMS trigger for synchronization will be good leverage.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:40 AM
squeeze
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to squeeze Send a message via Yahoo to squeeze

Yes, this is a great feature...

I've had it on my SCH i-730 about after 1 month after launch. It took them about a month to update all their systems after the Treo 700W launch and should now be available as a configuration on the 700W Feature list.

I've not used it for MMS, but for Exchange it works wonders.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:37 PM
eagle63
Ponderer

Good find, although hearing that Verizon charges the same amount of $ for their unlimited sms plan as Sprint does for unlimited data does make me chuckle.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:36 PM
smittyofdhs
Thinker

this works! we didn't have the luxery of having the code but did talk to a CSR who was very knowledgeable about this and set us up right away.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:04 PM
bigray327
Ponderer

How much longer can VZW continue to charge so much for unlimited data? Sprint HAS to be taking converts left and right. Come on, Verizon, get onboard with the free market economy!

Old 03-31-2006, 11:10 PM
aristoBrat
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigray327
How much longer can VZW continue to charge so much for unlimited data? Sprint HAS to be taking converts left and right. Come on, Verizon, get onboard with the free market economy!
Maybe their data plans are more expensive because it costs Verizon more to employ CSRs that actually rate well in customer service satisfaction polls? Sprint seems to be saving some money in that area.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:37 PM
kregger
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle63
Good find, although hearing that Verizon charges the same amount of $ for their unlimited sms plan as Sprint does for unlimited data does make me chuckle.
AFAIK, the Sprint "unlimited" plan uses up voice plan minutes. The Verizon one does not, it is truly unlimited.