Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 03-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Stop Sending Yourself Emails With Exchange ActiveSync

I started using Exchange ActiveSync in early 2005 with a Windows Mobile 2003SE PDA2K and it worked really well, but had one really annoying feature that neither POP3 nor IMAP4 accounts suffered from. When you hit "Reply All" it would include your email address in the header again and you'd get a copy of your own email in the inbox, even though it was in your Sent Items folder. Super annoying. It is relatively easy in Outlook to set up a rule to delete all emails from you. They are in your Sent Items folder anyway, and there is no need in downloading them again on your device or in Outlook.

This problem just went away for those of you with a Windows Mobile 5 device that has AKU2 installed, which includes MSFP.

Start ActiveSync on the device and go to Menu, Options. Select "E-Mail" and then tap Settings, then Advanced. You'll get the dialog box presented above. Type in your email address that you use with Exchange and that's it. You'll no longer get your own emails when you hit Reply All. Actually, the Inbox client still puts your email in there, but ActiveSync strips it out when it sends it. I am not sure why the fix to this problem is resolved in ActiveSync rather than just having Inbox not include your own address in there like it does with POP3 and IMAP4, but I'll take the fix any way I can get it.

Update: Well, this isn't working. I thought it had fixed the problem but then today i started getting replies to myself from "Reply All's" I've done, so I've reactivated my kill-filter on myself. :?

Old 03-27-2006, 09:55 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Hmmm. I use my Exchange mailbox as an aggregate for multiple domains/email addresses. I suppose this would only work for the single email address that I specify in this dialog. Still seems broken to me.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Storkman
Neophyte
Default Re: Stop Sending Yourself Emails With Exchange ActiveSync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
... one really annoying feature that neither POP3 nor IMAP4 accounts suffered from. When you hit "Reply All" it would include your email address in the header again and you'd get a copy of your own email in the inbox, even though it was in your Sent Items folder...
Actually, I send myself a copy of all my e-mails so I can file them along with the rest of the conversation. Sent mail is only for recent stuff (last couple months), and everything else gets filed until the project is really well done and over finished (plus a few months just in case).

To each their own I suppose, but I just wanted to point out this isn't necessary the big nasty bug some people might percieve it to be.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 AM
indiekiduk
Ponderer

Hi I've never been able to get exchange sync to work with 2003 or WM5 pocket pcs, smartphone, ipaqs, dells HTCs - you name it I've tried it. I just figured it was broken. My current problem with the WM5 wizard and tornado is that although the sync appears to succeed, and I see the message syncing email 88/88 , contacts 50/50 etc none of the data actually appears on the device. E.g. email is empty and contact list is blank. How can I fix this?

Old 03-28-2006, 04:12 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

for those following this, check out my update in the original post.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:36 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
for those following this, check out my update in the original post.
yeah, did not work for me either. It is utterly stupid (the reply-all implementation on WM).

Old 03-28-2006, 01:37 PM
indiekiduk
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiekiduk
Hi I've never been able to get exchange sync to work with 2003 or WM5 pocket pcs, smartphone, ipaqs, dells HTCs - you name it I've tried it. I just figured it was broken. My current problem with the WM5 wizard and tornado is that although the sync appears to succeed, and I see the message syncing email 88/88 , contacts 50/50 etc none of the data actually appears on the device. E.g. email is empty and contact list is blank. How can I fix this?
Looks like its not just me that has this weird problem:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...4cfa0bef8c040?

It could be Sophos anti virus on the server thats to blame, I'm looking into that.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Silver5
Intellectual

It is amazing timing to see this show up a day or two after I posted a question about what this setting was supposed to do on my Qtek 9100. I don't believe I got any reply to my question there though.

It would be awesome if there were manuals included with the various ROM updates that addressed things like this since it isn't apparent what certain settings do.