Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Web Information Solutions Releases FlexMail 2006

http://www.webis.net/products_info...._id=mail&dir=wm

"FlexMail is a full fledged email client for your Pocket PC. It supports reading and replying to ActiveSynched email for basic operations or through its infinitely more powerful POP3/IMAP4 services to your email server. With support for industry standard SSL and SOCKS proxies, you can connect to almost any email provider including GMail! With FlexMail's many options you can customize your email usage much more than any the Pocket PC Inbox allows. Receive your email via ActiveSync and respond via your POP3/IMAP4 SMTP account. Have FlexMail only hold the last 5 days of your IMAP folders. Create local folders and server folders. Synchronize by age, size, and synchronizations status."

The old WebIS Mail is no more. Enter WebIS FlexMail 2006, which features a revised interface, a new spell checker based on PhatWare's PhatSpell, and many under-the-hood changes that make the application more functional than ever before. Good news for previous Mail users - FlexMail is a free upgrade for you (simply download the application and apply your existing registration code). If you're new to FlexMail, you can download a free trial version from our affiliate software store, as well as purchase the full version for $19.95.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Cool! Now, I'll re-run my tests/update my mailer client roundup with the latest info

Old 03-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Clinton Fitch
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Clinton Fitch

I've been beta testing what was Mail 2 v2.2 for some time now and I've been most pleased with it.

If you use your device seriously for email, you should look at this application. Personally my favorite.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Theo
Ponderer

A cracking app, from a cracking developer.

Gets a big thumbs up from me.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:24 PM
PhilH
Pupil

Does FlexMail support mail synched via Exchange server?

Old 03-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Theo
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH
Does FlexMail support mail synched via Exchange server?
Yes - I've just replaced the native Inbox app with FlexMail; still uses Activesync to connect to the Exchange server.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Chairman Clench
Intellectual

Since FlexMail supports multiple inboxes (sweet) I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for me. I am OTA syncing with the Exchange server at work and that works fine. I would also like to sync with my Outlook desktop / Exchange server at home to get e-mail, but AS only supports 1 Exchange account at a time. I really don't want to enable IMAP4 on the home Exchange server because IMAP4 isn't very secure. On the home machine I have multiple e-mail accounts and they are run through a spam filter on my desktop. Is there any way to get the e-mail from home? I don't want to use all independent POP3 accounts because then they won't be run through the spam filter.

Or, is there a program out there that will sync your Exchange account with GMail?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Clench
I really don't want to enable IMAP4 on the home Exchange server because IMAP4 isn't very secure.
IMAP-over-SSL is actually quite secure, so I would consider using that first. You can use a self-signed certificate, copy the certificate file to the Pocket PC, and it should work (although I haven't tried FlexMail).

--janak

Old 03-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Chairman Clench
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
I really don't want to enable IMAP4 on the home Exchange server because IMAP4 isn't very secure.
IMAP-over-SSL is actually quite secure, so I would consider using that first. You can use a self-signed certificate, copy the certificate file to the Pocket PC, and it should work (although I haven't tried FlexMail).

--janak
I though IMAP transmits everything, including your password in plain text?

Old 03-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
I though IMAP transmits everything, including your password in plain text?
While that's true in a default setup, that's not the only option. There are two ways of encrypting the password; I've used #2 primarily.

1. Tell your IMAP client to encrypt passwords (assuming the server supports it). You may have noticed the "Secure Password Authentication" in Outlook Express, for instance. This uses NTLM password encryption, while leaving the rest of the communications plaintext. Not sure if the Messaging applet or FlexMail supports NTLM passwords over IMAP (I think I read the MS client does, but I've never tried it, and there's no explicit option for it).

2. Run the IMAP session over SSL. This encrypts everything, much like HTTPS (or Server ActiveSync, which I believe is based on HTTPS). IMAP-over-SSL has broad support; Exchange supports it, as does most desktop clients as well as Pocket PC clients (including the built-in Messaging applet). The only hassle is that you need to configure an SSL context on the server and (in the case of self-signing) copy the certificate over to the device. In fact, it's possible to use both IMAP and SMTP over SSL; the latter is just as important if you plan to authenticate outgoing email.

--janak