Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Intel and NVIDIA Team Up to Deliver Monahans/GoForce-Powered Handhelds

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_30185.html

"NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA), the worldwide leader in programmable graphics processor technologies, today announced that it has combined the processing capabilities of the NVIDIA GoForce family of handheld graphics processing units (GPUs) with Intel Corporation's newest processor family (codenamed Monahans) based on the third-generation Intel XScale architecture, to deliver a powerful development platform to content developers... The Monahans platform family will offer a wide range of performance, power and integration levels to help meet the needs of mobile phones, portable gaming devices, personal media players and other consumer electronic devices. The NVIDIA GoForce family of handheld GPUs, including the recently launched NVIDIA GoForce 5500, enables advanced multimedia features such as digital TV, advanced photo imaging, surround sound audio, and 3D gaming on next-generation handheld devices."

Intel and NVIDIA have joined forces to help deliver new Monahans/GoForce-powered handheld devices. Intel announced the Monahans in August 2005 by demonstrating a new PXA29x processor clocked at 1.25GHz. Furthermore, NVIDIA announced the GoForce 5500 last month, with some very impressive power to go with it. With these two combined, we could be looking at a new wave of Pocket PCs (and other handhelds) that may potentially leave the Dell Axim X50v/X51v out to dry.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:53 PM
stevelam
Thinker

Come on Dell, what we need now is a x70 with Monahans the GeforeGo and an HDD. Then I'll get a new PPC.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:59 PM
rob_ocelot
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelam
Come on Dell, what we need now is a x70 with Monahans the GeforeGo and an HDD. Then I'll get a new PPC.
Throw in USB host, Bluetooth 2.0, and maybe 802.11g I'll buy it at full price the instant it's available.

Are you listening, Dell?

Old 03-09-2006, 07:07 PM
stevelam
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_ocelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelam
Throw in USB host, Bluetooth 2.0, and maybe 802.11g I'll buy it at full price the instant it's available.

Are you listening, Dell?
In fact I would buy two!

Old 03-09-2006, 09:41 PM
netboy
Intellectual

i just want a pocketpc-Phone with VGA screen with EVDO or UMTS.. y cant some1 honor my wish? instead of KEEP RELEASING JUNKS with QGVA?

Old 03-10-2006, 05:23 AM
Typhoon
Sage

I just want money, I'm homeless...

Old 03-10-2006, 01:28 PM
saru83
Thinker

well, i would definitely love to have this kind of power in my ppc, but how good of a battery life will i have, 2 hours usage!! this is what i think will happen unill we get some serious makeover in the battery industry..

Old 03-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saru83
...unill we get some serious makeover in the battery industry..
This is already happening. It's only a matter of time before some of the newly-developed technologies are used in consumer electronics.