Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default What is the Origami Project?

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=5938

"Found the Origamiproject.com through The Hive, and later a blog entry on scobleizer. Reading through the comments there I found that Thatedeguy talks more about it: "About the size and weight of a small digital camcorder, the National� Geode 'Origami' Mobile Communicator is a flexible unit that folds and unfolds to perform eight popular consumer electronics functions in one easy-to-use device" So, if this is a communicator device, it looks like Origamiproject could be this design unveiled a few years ago."

Microsoft's teaser page doesn't reveal much at the moment, but sources indicate that the Origami Project is an all-in-one mobile communicator device capable of performing eight popular consumer electronics functions (which, of course, is a rather vague claim to make). Whatever it is, more will be revealed on March 2.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:19 PM
hidefguy
Pupil

I think Microsoft is completely missing the point of the small form factor market, by simply putting the full version of Windows on a OQO-like device. I have an OQO and having Windows on a handheld device sounds very usable, but it isn't. A different paradigm of computing comes into play with small displays, which Smart Phones will effectively own.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to Patrick Y.

Very interesing. I have to say Microsoft maks some awsome products.

Old 02-25-2006, 03:38 AM
PDANEWBIE
Thinker

Quote:
the National� Geode 'Origami' Mobile Communicator is a flexible unit that folds and unfolds to perform eight popular consumer electronics functions in one easy-to-use device
I don't get it are you buying a PDA, a camera, or a transformer? If its a transformer do I get my choice between Optimus Prime or Megatron?

Old 02-25-2006, 06:03 AM
msafi
Ponderer

engadget has some pictures

Old 02-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Joff
Ponderer

There is more speculation at this link

Hmm, they refer it to a "lifestyle PC", a pocket-size? always on? running a full-blown Desktop Windows? for less then $500?

I will add to the speculation, this can probably be achieved by using new types of RAM, i.e. non-volatile RAM like MRAM which (tries to) combine the best of both technologies: SDRAM and Flash.

Let's play MS marketing game and build-up the hype 8)
I am a geek after all 0X