Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado
Default T-Mobile MDA Now Officially Available

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/...e-from-t-moile/

The good sources at Engadget were elated to announce that T-Mobile USA is now selling their branded version of the HTC Wizard 200 as the MDA (the UK version is called the MDA Vario).

For those of you who waited out the initial craze of the HTC Wizard from Qtek and i-mate priced over $800 last October, your patience has paid off. While the unbranded, unlocked version from Qtek and i-mate still sell for as low as $599, T-Mobile has the MDA listed on their website for a tempting $349 after a $50 mail-in rebate (a one-year wireless contract is required). Personally, I still like the look of the T-Mobile MDA over the Cingular 8125 (the HTC Wizard 100). But, since the performance and technical specifications are identical, you'll just need to pick the wireless carrier that suits you best. I'm sure Ed's K-JAMMING Blog will receive yet another influx of new readers with this new release. :wink:

Old 02-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Mobile Analyst Watch
Neophyte
Default Re: T-Mobile MDA Now Officially Available

Are the Cingular 8125 and the the T-Mobile MDA the same? Isn't the former the Wizard 100 and the latter the Wizard 200? Is there any difference between the two?

I'm trying to decide between these two devices and if you take Cingular's and T-Mobile's networks out of play, is the 8125 or the MDA a better device?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts, Mobile Analyst Watch!

As I stated in the article, the devices are identical except for their physical appearance. To me, the HTC Wizard 100 (Cingular 8125) really looks like a prototype or first-generation device, while the HTC Wizard 200 (T-Mobile MDA/MDA Vario, i-mate K-JAM, Qtek 9100, etc.) has a more curvy and stylish form factor.

It's been said on various forums that most of the difference lies in the customized Extended ROMs, as well as some tweaks in the OS ROM. Though its legality is questionable, they have been able to interchange the ROMs and its contents as they saw fit.

I haven't had a chance to touch an 8125, so I don't know if it's any more or less sturdy than the MDA. But, what I do know about the HTC Wizard 200 is that the "loose stylus syndrome" happened over time to many owners, including myself.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Mobile Analyst Watch
Neophyte

Thanks. I'm on Cingular now and was wondering if it was better to just get the 8125 or buy the MDA and unlock it.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

I read somewhere that the battery life of HTC wizard 100 is even better than treo 650, although the capacity is only 1250mah. Will TMOBILE MDA has the same battery life?

Old 02-22-2006, 09:59 PM
quan
Pupil

I am thinking about getting one but can some experts tell me how the phone functionality performed. How is the reception, voice quality, speakers phone and most of all any types of major ROM defects that caused ones to constantly find a work around solution(s)? Much appreciate your advice.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Flame
Neophyte
Default Arrived Today

I ordered the MDA from T-Mobile's website and UPS delivered it today. I will keep you posted on the performance.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:10 AM
lfc
Neophyte
Default MDA Won't Sync

So far - 1 day - love the MDA w/regards to it's wireless functionality and slimmer profile (compared to my old Pocket PC). However, it will not sync Outlook with MS ActiveSync 4.1 no matter what hoops I jump through. The device is never detected and you never get the wizard to establish the initial partnership.

Spoke with rep at TMobile's PDA support - they say they are experiencing many issues with this device and ActiveSync. He instructed me to check Microsoft's website often for a patch to take care of the issue - they are actively working to resolve it.

Hope this is true. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or has any info?

:?

Old 02-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker

ActiveSync 4.1 with USB is giving a lot of people issues. I suggest using syncing over Bluetooth, as Bluetooth USB dongles are incredibly cheap nowadays.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:35 AM
lfc
Neophyte
Default Bluetooth Newbie

Bluetooth features are new to me, beyond using the wireless headset. What would I need to buy and how would I get started syncing via Bluetooth?

Waiting on ActiveSync issues to resolve doesn't seem like it will be productive anytime soon. . .