Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-12-2006, 03:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default BoxWave: Armor Cases for Everyone!

BoxWave was a little busy this week grinding away at anodised aluminium to deliver four new $27-$30 cases for the HTC Wizard, Samsung i730, Dell Axim X51/X51v, and the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX 700 series. All cases feature accessible openings, thin padding on the interior, and a detachable belt clip in case you need it.

You can purchase the cases and find out more about them from the series of links shown below:

BoxWave Armor Case for the i-mate K-JAM
BoxWave Armor Case for the O2 Xda Mini Pro
BoxWave Armor Case for the Samsung i730
BoxWave Armor Case for the Dell Axim X51
BoxWave Armor Case for the Dell Axim X51v
BoxWave Armor Case for the Fujtisu-Siemens Pocket LOOX 710
BoxWave Armor Case for the Fujtisu-Siemens Pocket LOOX 718
BoxWave Armor Case for the Fujtisu-Siemens Pocket LOOX 720

Old 01-12-2006, 07:42 AM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

I've always been a great fan of metal cases and this is exactly what I wanted

Sunny

Old 01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

I'm a fan of silicone cases myself. However since my current device has a slider it is a bit problematic. I've a dopod 838 and it seems it has been left out of the line up. Calling all 838 owners to head on over to boxwave and request for our device's metal case.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Lex
Sage

What's the advantage of a hard metal case? I had one before and am back to leather. Metal cases are the same color as many PPCs, adds weight and gives no shock protection in a fall. Also seems analogous to senior citizens putting plastic covers on their sofas. :lol:

Old 01-12-2006, 12:53 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
What's the advantage of a hard metal case? I had one before and am back to leather.
They've plethora of advantages. You can put ur pocket pc in u pocket/briefcase without worrying that anything will happen to the screen. It also makes your pocket pc looks distinct from the rest of the crowd. Lastly it acts as symbol of geekism. Hold it in ur hand and go to ay market, people will gaze at you..intellectualism :wink:

Sunny

Old 01-12-2006, 01:34 PM
spacehog
Pupil

a hard metal case was ubiquitous with any PDA ive owned in the past, but since i moved on to convergent devices, ive noticed that the metal shell adversely affects the phone signal and have consequently stopped using these with my treo 650 and i-mate phones.

based on observations, id say there's between a 15%-25% signal quality decrease due to the metal in these cases..

Old 01-12-2006, 01:54 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehog
based on observations, id say there's between a 15%-25% signal quality decrease due to the metal in these cases..
I currently use a metal case for my magician..and with proper openings, signal quality is never affected

Sunny

Old 01-12-2006, 06:41 PM
surfer
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpcadmirer
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehog
I currently use a metal case for my magician..and with proper openings, signal quality is never affected

Sunny
I use one too for my magician and i've no signal problem.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:47 PM
archinemnon
Pupil

I actually purchased one of these cases for my SX66 and I hated it. I tried it for one day and then never used it again. I went with a nice leather flip case from SENA instead. The metal case was bulky and unwieldy. It didn't fit well in my pocket and I couldn't use half the buttons with the case on it. My SENA case fits in my docking station and has served me very well. I'd never buy another metal case, especially not from this company.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:49 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
What's the advantage of a hard metal case? I had one before and am back to leather. Metal cases are the same color as many PPCs, adds weight and gives no shock protection in a fall. Also seems analogous to senior citizens putting plastic covers on their sofas. :lol:
I guess it depends on what kind of metal. I'd never go for an aluminum case because of the lack of protection an aluminum case provides (it deforms far too easily). However, I own a titanium case and I'd consider a magnesium case for a future device.